making diaphragm calls?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
thunderchicken

making diaphragm calls?

Postby thunderchicken » June 26th, 2009, 4:08 am

Does anyone have any info on getting started making your own mouth calls?

tools? material?
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

icdedturkes

RE: making diaphragm calls?

Postby icdedturkes » June 26th, 2009, 4:20 am

I started this past winter. It is a frustrating ordeal for sure. For many without someone to call and ask questions the learning curve can be 1000 calls.

What do you need:

Press: Some use them some dont, Steve stretches on a table as do alot of comp callers. A press will help to shorten the learning curve. What type of press, one company provides a majority share of them but the prices start right around 450 making you wonder if it is worth it. Others are out there for 100 dollars but not as fancy, but get the job done the same.

Matierial: Frames, tape and latex are availible from two sources.

Pliers

Sharp scissors

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 26th, 2009, 8:08 am

Although I have made some mouth calls in the past, my experience has been quite limited.   I too am interested in expanding my horizons in making calls.  I know that Midwest and Pioneer are two companies that sell mouth call supplies, and I am sure there are probably others..  I have some vague ideas about how to build calls without a press, but I have yet to try it.  If others here are interested in going through the learning process together, then we should start an information exchange on materials and techniques so that we shorten all of our learning curves. ...And perhaps some of the individuals on here that already are experienced mouth call makers can give us some info to get us headed in the right direction.   

My initial confusion is in regards to the proper materials....frames, reed materials, and tapes...to buy.  All of the sizes of frames, thicknesses of reed materials, different tape types, and so on, are a bit intimidating.  Some direction and recommendations would be appreciated.

Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 26th, 2009, 12:23 pm

You fellers that have ever or still work at a factory know that from time to time they go on a cleaning foray and throw away all manner of good equipment . Well that is what we did this week at the shop . I filled two roll back dumpsters .
 There were 3 small foot operated arhbor presses . Probably older than anybody on the forum , yet in pretty good shape . I considered getting one but finally threw the idea out the window . An in-law of a co-worker took them all . Had this thread been a couple days earlier I would no doubt have secured them all .
 Now if you want to , and are willin' to drive or fly in ,,,,,YOU CAN KICK ME A GOOD'N'. I'll stand for it .

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 26th, 2009, 3:29 pm

shoot! I was a day late and a dollar short on this post!LOL

Thats a great idea, BP! I too would appreciate any info! I am just afraid this is going to cost too much for me to get into! Any websites that I can check out on prices of presses?
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » June 26th, 2009, 3:36 pm

http://www.callpurrfect.com/

I am thinking about trying this. Anyone have any remarks about these or know anything about this kit?
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 26th, 2009, 4:05 pm

That is not that great of a cash outlay.  It wouldn't hurt too much to give it a try.  Compared to what it cost for the equiptment to make box and pot calls it is cheap.  It just does not seem worth it with all the calls out there, both custom and factory made. 
[8|] I have always wondered how these calls are tested ???[;)]
 >- >- >-  >- >- >-  >- >- >-  >- >- >-  >- >- >- >-  >- >- >-  >- >- >-
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 26th, 2009, 8:08 pm

I have one of the Call Purrfect kits.  You can make functional calls with it, but I think it is pretty limited in terms of what you can do with it.  You can't really stretch the latex/reeds like I think you need to be able to do.  Also, one thing I really don't like about the kit is the call tape that is furnished for the calls.  Unless they have changed the product recently, the tape is very stiff and tastes bad.  The one thing the kit does, though, is teach you the basics of call making, which is a good thing.  However, I think with some guidance from the experienced guys here, if they are willing to give it, a person could avoid having to have a press or some kind of jig to make calls. 

I was told this spring by a call maker that you can order enough materials to make 1,500 calls for around $500.  Maybe we could get a group order put together between those of us that want to make some calls and split up the materials between us?  Anybody have any thoughts on trying something like that?

Jim

StevePA

Postby StevePA » June 27th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Its not rocket science to say the least...
turkeykiller

KPcalls

Postby KPcalls » June 27th, 2009, 4:54 pm

But, with a lot of experience, some very good calls can be achieved. ....Extreme Kee comes to mind.

Next

Return to Calling