Video of an awesome Kentucky turkey hunt...turkeys fighting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tharp0003

Video of an awesome Kentucky turkey hunt...turkeys fighting

Postby tharp0003 » April 28th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I am in college so i was watching these birds every day on my way to school so i was itching for the 4/14/12 Opening day of Kentucky's Turkey season. However, I had no idea how awesome this hunt would be. I had several turkeys gobbling to my right On the roost, but then in a direction i was completely unsuspecting of, two toms started heading right for my decoy spread. After what seemed like an hour they then started running to my Pretty Boy decoy and attacked it. I shot one of the birds then the other one hung around till another bird came in and fought him right in front of my blind. One of the neatest things ive ever seen while turkey hunting... it only makes it that much sweeter that I got it on tape my very first time videoing. Definitively, one of the best hunts I have ever had. The Bird had a 10 3/4 inch bird, 5/8'' spurs and weighed 20 lbs.

Check out my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hsyfy8lhuU

bamabirdbuster13

Re: Video of an awesome Kentucky turkey hunt...turkeys fight

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 29th, 2012, 12:53 am

pretty cool video... ive shot a few birds over my b-mobile and its pretty cool to watch em work on up to the decoy and try to knock it around. im gonna start filming hunts again next year. my old camcorder got a little too wet on a duck hunt this last year.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 29th, 2012, 5:40 am

Very nice video amd congrats on a nice bird.

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 29th, 2012, 8:00 am

awsome video!!!!! never seen that many big toms in one place. wish i could have been there.
Clyde

tharp0003

Postby tharp0003 » April 29th, 2012, 2:01 pm

I wish you would have been there too we would of had two of those bad boys on the ground.....it's a shame here in KY you can only kill one bird a day......thanks for all the positive feedback.....just felt like i needed to share this awesome experience with EVERYONE!!!! :D

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 29th, 2012, 3:11 pm

That was AWESOME footage!! Thanks for sharing ;)
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 29th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Congrats on your bird and thanks for sharing the hunt with us. It was interesting when after you shot that the other birds head changed from a red n white head to an all white head, and when that other bird came in his head was red n white and as they fought it changed to a pink n white head. Being that he won the fight and was more dominant before he changed back to a red n white head, and the bird he ran off still kept an all white head. It makes a good learning vid as to what calls you'd use to call either bird back in. Great vid, thanks again for sharing. ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » April 29th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Very cool video!!! What part of Ky you hunting in? Several guys on here from Ky

tharp0003

Postby tharp0003 » April 30th, 2012, 12:52 am

I noticed the head coloration as well.... It's interesting that you brought up the question of dominance after they fought I had never even made that connection....very interesting, I will start paying more attention to how birds are acting with different head coloration's, I bet you are right.... And I'm very glad you enjoyed, It's great being able to share this with so many people that love turkey hunting as much as i do.... To the other question: I am hunting in Grayson County and more specifically in Big Clifty it is about an hour south of Louisville and about 30 minutes south of Elizabethtown....Something about this location draws turkeys in like crazy... there's already been five birds killed out of that field and there was 3 toms out there this morning when I drove by, I am truly blessed to have such an amazing spot to hunt..... where are you other Kentuckians from?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 13th, 2012, 5:22 pm

I'm just getting around to looking at posts since getting done with my spring hunts, so this is a bit late,....but that is some fantastic video! Really good stuff! Thanks for going to the trouble of putting in up for us to see!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion