Toms are responding!!!

ticklishtompro

Toms are responding!!!

Postby ticklishtompro » April 27th, 2012, 9:46 pm

The past couple days the gobblers have finally started acting the way they are supposed to! We have killed 2 birds in 2 days, and going to help someone else try do do it again in the morning. Hopefully the weather cooperates, I heard something about snow flurries. It sure has been a strange spring.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Toms are responding!!!

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 28th, 2012, 12:16 am

Yep this week they started responding to hen talk the way they should. The 4th and 5th seasons the birds should be on fire :?: The 4th season they'll be henned up and the 5th season they should be starting to roam a little, but both should be very good seasons for finding and calling birds in.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 30th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Sunday was a great morning in the woods. They didn't gobble much off the roost, but after they hit the ground they were very responsive. Called in a real nice gobbler for my friends girlfriend, but they didn't seal the deal. It was still a beautiful morning in the woods. Also the hens were very vocal, which his girlfriend had never heard a hen before, so I had a very nice conversation with the boss hen so she heard lots of hen talk!
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 1st, 2012, 10:01 am

I'll be back at it again tomorrow, hopefully they will want to play? The forecast isn't to good for rest of the week, talking thunderstorms every day, but maybe they will be short storms and pass by quickly. :?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 1st, 2012, 4:36 pm

Good luck to you. My 2 daughters season starts tomorow so we will be hitting it too. You just never know how much they will want to go. Then I have a tag for 5th and 6th season. 5th season Mr Lovett is coming over to do a little hunting so I am looking forward to that. What zone are you in, we are zone 2. Lots of birds this year for sure. Also lots of jakes which is good for next year and beyond.

Randy
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2012, 4:45 pm

Really looking forward to my 4th and 5th season hunts in WI :D 4th season in zone 1 near Madison, 5th in Zone 2 south of Green Bay.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 1st, 2012, 4:53 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote: 5th in Zone 2 south of Green Bay

You will be in my neck of the woods so to speak. I am halfway between Milwaukee and Green Bay!
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm

Yep, I've been through Sheboygan several times. I grew up in Madison, and most of my family lives in the Milwaukee / Racine area. The inlaws live in De Pere

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm

I'm in zone 2 also, zone 3 is only a couple miles from me so I hunt that more than zone 2. I've got tags for 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons, I'll hunt zone 3 the 4th and 5th and zone 2 the 6th season. The T&TH Forum Hunt is in zone 3 for the 5th season.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 6th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Well back from a quick 2 morning hunt near Madison. No birds taken, but all I can say is wow, i can't believe I never turkey hunted as a kid growing up there. We were out Saturday and Sunday mornings on public land within an hours drive of town, and we ran into more birds than my entire MN season combined each morning. It was my dads first time out, so I was glad he got to experience a lot of gobbling action. We were treated to a good amount of gobbling on the roost both mornings, and each day were able to work several birds. A few came quite close to sealing the deal, but just didn't finish (intercepted by a hen, just out of sight over a rise, and my dad learning first hand what sitting STILL really means when we got busted from 75 yds away). I did call in some hens each morning that hung around for awhile making small talk. Was great to spend some quality time with the old man and introduce him to something that I enjoy so much. I think he's hooked, his tag is good through Tuesday and he'll be going out by himself a morning or two this week. The storms that rolled through this morning really got them worked up, as the thunder started to roll in there must have been 10 birds within earshot gobbling at every boom and call. We had a couple hot gobblers close the distance on us to just out of site over the crest, then it started to rain and the wind really picked up. They decided to head back down into the creek bottom.

Next

Return to Wisconsin