turkeydog

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeydoghunter

RE: turkeydog

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:40 pm

the preserves are good to train a dog but i like the stocked areas thats all i have wish there were wild one but because of the habitat and development there gone although some oldtimers have told me stories about when wild birds were around .....the snow to deep to hunt right now but the last 2 days weve had a melt so looking forward to hunting ...grouse and rabbit.....do you hunt woodcock? i got some this year..

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:45 pm

Woodcock are a blast. They hold forever for a pointing so they are great for Yogi. He once held point for over 20 minutes on one. Wish they tasted better. Wisconsin has great grouse and woodcock hunting.

p.s theres nothing you can do about a dog getting hurt it happens. I've seen nut sacks rubbed raw and bleeding, feet bleeding, eyes hurt, cut chest and bellys. Best you can do is know when they have to be done cause a good hunting dog ain't going to stop hunting no matter what.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:47 pm

guess  your glad junior broke that flock of gobbler for you while poor old buster sat home licking his wounds ...seems like everytime you hunted him he got hurt....you need to keep him and yourself in shape....so you can hunt next season....try taking him for some walks or to a park where he can run....

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:54 pm

yeah those woodcox are fun does your dog fetch em too......and yes hunting dogs get hurt on ocasions ....but if you keep em in shape they stand a better chance of not getting hurt ....franks dogs nut sack was rubbed raw from sitting around on the concrete all day....so bad he thought the pobOy had cancer......bet ole busster liked that cream you rubbed on him......

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:56 pm

goodnight its been real[8D]

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Fetching is one area Yogi needs the most work but he does fetch woodcocks most times. He fetches pheasants I'd say 3/4 of the time and the other 1/4 of the time he stands over the dead one. 

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 1:11 am

my dogs almost always fetch pheasant and even bunnies .....but didnt the woodcox....they stood over em....i heard the sent is not to thier liking...weve only shot a few...you say they dont taste good???

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 24th, 2009, 2:10 am

You are what you eat.  Woodcock tastes like worms.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 2:21 am

you must not eat fish....and turkeys ...eat bugs...lol[:D]

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 24th, 2009, 5:39 am

Woodcock breast have some of the darkest meat I've seen and they live off worms they taste like shit. Turkeys eat a much more balanced diet.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion