Willowridge Kills

charlie elk

Willowridge Kills

Postby charlie elk » April 25th, 2012, 12:41 pm

As in Willowridge calls kill, perhaps too quickly!?
Today started the third turkey season with rain, mist and chilly temps.
The timeline-
4:30 AM - alarm rings, it is pouring the turkeys are going to sleep in, so am I.
5:00 - Get up make coffee try in vain to explain to Vic I am going - he is not. Pry his paws off and leave feeling very guilty.
5:30 - Arrive at Mississippi River boat launch one rig already out, remind myself turkeys are sleeping in.
6:00 - Floating downstream I am in an area I have never been before, just looked good "turkey like" on the maps and aerials.
6:03 - No responses to owl hoots, too light now, try yelps and cuts on a Holey box, both sides of the river explode in gobbling.
6:08 - Boat is landed about 40 yds behind my setup. Pull out Willowridge Deathwish, yelp, gobbler screams back, yelp back louder to set the hook answered by a very angry gobbling set. Start slate walking clucks, more gobbling coming closer fast, drop call get gun up. Silence then gobble close but to my left, gun down call again with slate walking clucks.
6:15 - There he is walking fast into my shooting zone, head behind a sapling. Congratulations gobbler you just earned a ride in my boat.

unit 1 23lb 04252012.jpg
unit 1 23lb 04252012.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 487 times

Upon inspecting the area in the aftermath there was an unseen 100 yd. long skinny pond between us. The tom was so worked up he cruised at least 50 yds. to get around the end of that pond and approach on my good side. Down right respectful I'd say.
Man what a call you make there Willowridge! :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Willowridge Kills

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 25th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Thanks Charlie, it was pouring and thundering out there this morning. I didn't hear a bird until he came over the knoll in the hayfield. All I could get out of my call was a squeeky squealy kee kee, but he loved it and came on the run leaving 2 hens behind. I didn't have to go to the Mississippi to see running water, just had to empty my boots. :lol:
Attachments
2012 Season 3.jpg
2012 Season 3.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 474 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 26th, 2012, 7:44 am

Congratulations guys! Nice Birds, sounds like an exciting hunt too. I don't have a tag or anyone to call for during week three so I guess I'll be checking out the site this week.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 26th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Great looking birds! always rewarding when you get one after toughing out the rain or snow. I never thought of taking a boat turkey hunting charlie, do you do that often?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 26th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Congratulations on your gobblers guys. Those Willow Ridge Calls are hard to beat...proof's in the pictures.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 26th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Congrats to both of you gentlemen, and I agree with Jim, Scott's calls rock! ;)
Brian

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 30th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote: I never thought of taking a boat turkey hunting charlie, do you do that often?

waterfall turkey.JPG
waterfall turkey.JPG (42.19 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Yes or depending on the water sometimes a canoe.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 10th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Congratulations Charlie and Scott!

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I never thought of taking a boat turkey hunting charlie, do you do that often?

Hey Gopher I was going to rent a canoe last spring on the St Croix and camp on one of the islands then hunt from there but the river was too high for me to do it. The idea for the plan came from none other than Mr. Elk.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin