Whats in your vest?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Whats in your vest?

Postby shaman » January 22nd, 2009, 7:45 am

f you ditched the vest then what do you carry all that stuff in?

This thing loaded is about the same weight as my old vest unloaded.  I bought it from WiBags.com -- found them at an outdoor show many years ago.  Yeah, it's a purse, but it does the trick. I carry that across my right shoulder and then carry a musette bag across my left shoulder when I've got the decoys. If I have to drop gear and crawl, or just sit down quietly, both this bag and the musette bag have buckles that allow for a quick release. 

What I like:  $12 for the sling bag
        weight-- it's very light
        It's easy to shed
        It has a flap that folds open and gives me a nice clean surface to lay out my calls
        I can take it in the rain and nothing gets wet.

I also carry a home made copy of a musette bag, a war surplus canvas bag I had for years before it rotted and gave out.  It is a design that is meant to be either a shoulder bag or a small backpack.  I finally decided that in 20 years I had never once worn it as a pack, so when I copied it, I just left the extra hardware off and did it as a shoulder bag. I don't have pictures of mine, but here is a pic of it's inspiration:

I had some camo fabric laying around, and I ran it up on my sewing machine. Midwest Turkey Call Supply has a decoy bag that is very similar.  Mine has two compartments. I fill one with the decoys and stakes and then there is an inner pocket for my lunch, a book, and anything else I want to bring along.  Some days it's the rain suit.  Some days its a bigger blind.  The whole point of the M1936 Musette Bag was to have something for a GI to carry miscellaneous stuff-- extra provisions, extra ammo, etc.  That's exactly what I used it for.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2009, 7:46 am

Lets see in my Mossy Oak Super Elite III vest you'll find

4 pot calls two glass two slate, 4 or so strikers, a box call, Palmer's hoot tube, Hamerin Crow call, sand paper scotch brite and box call caulk.

Non call related head net and gloves, 5 extra shot shells , compass & topo maps, headlamp,tp, water, snack and turkey tag's. Sometimes if I feel like packing it a hen decoy

benhanson

Postby benhanson » January 22nd, 2009, 4:25 pm

i have a limit on my hunting budget so i can't have a vest so i use an black backpack and pockets
i carry:
1 slate call
4 diaphrams
tube call
hen and jake deks
brush clippers
multi-tool
maps
granola bars
water bottle
tag
ground blind
binoculars
ammo

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 22nd, 2009, 5:30 pm

I've scaled down somewhat but still carry too much stuff. Two pot calls; three strikers; various mouth calls; Primos heartbreaker; also sometimes a long box by Shorty's Custom Calls; crow, hawk and owl call; shells; sandpaper; chaulk; extra gloves and headnet; compass; leatherman tool; bottle of water; snack bar; sometimes decoys and a must have - wet wipes.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 22nd, 2009, 5:52 pm

4 diaphragm calls, one slate & two strikers, 6 shells, 2 pair of camo gloves, 2 headnets, some toilet paper in a plastic bag, a disposable lighter, a small pump bottle of DEET bug spray, a sharp knife, a mini-Mag light, a Streamlight L.E.D. pen light, & a Motorola Talkabout radio, a small bottle of water. That's it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

steelheadr

Postby steelheadr » January 23rd, 2009, 4:25 am

Too much at the start of the season and not much at the end

joetex25

Postby joetex25 » January 23rd, 2009, 10:14 am

I do hate to list it all, 'cause I do carry way too much of what's already listed, plus... a Therma Cell!
I absolustely HATE flying insects around me while trying to be still!  [:@] I won't sit in the woods in the Spring, or the warm days of fall archery season, without the Therma Cell!! I'm sure I could do without some of the other gizzmos, but not the Therma Cell!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 4th, 2009, 3:26 pm

4 Friction Calls

5 Mouth Calls

Several Strikers

Sand Paper

Conditioner for friction calls

Face Mask (plus an extra) lost one last year

Tick Spray

Camo Gloves

Orange for when moving

10 Shotgun Shells (don't ask why)

A Sandwhich

Water bottle

Seat

Did I say shotgun? [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 5th, 2009, 3:49 am

I ditched the vest for the most part, sometimes I still wear it becauseit has a back rest in it.

2 mouth calls, 1 box or 2 slates (if I bring the box I leave the slates and vice versa) 3 shotgun shells, Mossberg 835, and I wear my camo,gloves and headnet. 
I eat before I go, I drink water from the spring that comes off the mountain. So this allows me to go light, I like to move alot sometimes so this set up has worked for me
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 5th, 2009, 4:32 am

My turkey guru buddy from Missouri would laugh at all of this, he's obviously from the Bobby Leatherman cut of cloth. He carries a shotgun, slate call, mouth call and a folded black plastic trash bag to sit on.

He gets a hoot out of us showing up with our vests each year.

I won't go into my entire vest inventory except to mention the three most important things:

1. Thermacell- the ticks in Missouri and the mosquitoes in Michigan are ferocious. Tough to hunt effectively without it.

2. Binoculars- essential for the areas I hunt.

3. Rachet Pruners- essential for clearing a place to sit and cutting branches to stick in the ground for some cover.

While I enjoy callers and calling and experimenting with decoys and gadgets, I've taken a good many turkeys without them. Other than my shotgun, the three items above still top the list.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion