winter flock

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

RE: winter flock

Postby tracebusta32 » January 21st, 2009, 10:44 am

Your public land must not get hunted like our public land here in the mountains of NC, because you don't have as much ground to hunt as you may have thought you did once you get in.
But to each his own, as for me if I have some private tract to hunt that has turkeys...thats where you will find me, and I bet I feel just as satisfied as the next fella when I walk out with a longbeard over my shoulder.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 21st, 2009, 11:15 am

longbeard over the shoulder = satisfaction no matter where you kill it no doubt

our public land not hunted as much?you could be correct i dont know, run & check some stats im over here in the great state of tn. we are full of liberal bag limits & buckets full of hunters, so i would have to guess that we have at least as much hunting pressure here as yall do in north carolina

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 21st, 2009, 11:34 am

i like the woods ,,,big woods, and plenty of room to get away from the ''near the road hunters''. i have several farms , private , that i can hunt. none of them have what i call nice timbered ridges. and i too have taken public as well as private land birds . but i must say i , myself , really enjoy the hunt more on that public land where i learned to hunt the Eastern and i have well over 4000 acres to move around if needed. 10 years of hunting there and have had very little problem with other hunters.

benhanson

Postby benhanson » January 22nd, 2009, 3:43 pm

hunting on public land is no more or less of a challenage than hunting on private land. when you kill a turkey and didn't learn a thing off the hunt then you can go find a better challenage. when i go hunting i want to be away from other hunters

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 4th, 2009, 12:44 pm

seen a flock this evening feeding on a hillside cornfield,,,hillside facing south

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 4th, 2009, 12:55 pm

I'd like to see you guys hunt the public land of Pa where I hunt. I've ran into more hunters last year than any. But it's ok most of them stay clear if you're there first and there's some that don't. I do hunt public land all the time.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 5th, 2009, 11:44 am

evening all ,
 see lots of varying opinions on ''public land '' in the last few replies .  if i had my pick of land to hunt it woud be private land and at least 500 acres ,,,,big IF , don't you think ? i don't know of 500 acres that is mostly wooded . on the contrary , most farms of that many acres has maybe 50 - 100 acres of woods . that's just a mite confining for me.
the public land i use is a fine piece of real estate which is mostly wooded , with fields scattered all over the area, and varying in size from 1 acre to 40 acres . and if one is willing to walk into the interior you can get away from just about everyone and be in between some good ridges where anyone on the outside edges can't hear those late morning gobbles.
and probably more than half [that may be too low of an estimation] set out there decoys in one of the fields and camp there all morning .
yes there are some real boneheads that hunt there , and maybe you may think that of me . that's alright . am i macho ,,,,not hardly . makin' plenty of mistakes and trying to learn from them . i just happen to like a lot of room to move , if need be , and foolin' a bird that some other hunters haven't,,,,,and killin' him on my terms. 

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion