turkeydog

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

turkeydog

Postby grizzly » January 21st, 2009, 11:50 am

turkeydoghunter just wondering if you've ever hunted up here in candor at turkey trot with pete clare in the fall i know he has a big to do every fall with doghunting

tracebusta32

RE: turkeydog

Postby tracebusta32 » January 22nd, 2009, 3:39 am

Do people really hunt turkeys with dogs?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 22nd, 2009, 3:55 am

yep...in da fall

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 22nd, 2009, 6:11 am

hey grizzly....no i havent hunted with pete  i hear he has a good business operation  there , ive been hunting and breeding dogs for five years ....and have had a ball with it .....its made my turkey hunting t experience far better than i ever thought it could be....tracebusta32....they do it in your state.....do you fall hunt???

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 22nd, 2009, 6:26 am

I fall hunted one time, the harvest counts against your spring number so I don't anymore.
I think this was our last season for fall hunting btw.
I never heard of hunting turkeys with dogs before, Ithought you all was kidding. 
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » January 22nd, 2009, 11:58 am

Turkeydoghunter,
     What kind of dogs are you using to hunt turkeys?  I had a mixed breed bird dog that I trained to hunt birds (turkeys) but he became very sick with epilepsy and I had to do the unmentionable at only 4 years of age.  He did however hunt with my brother and I and broke flocks his first year out and the following year.  His final fall I didn't hunt turkeys because he was so messed up.  Having him to hunt with was extra special.

Jim

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 22nd, 2009, 12:31 pm

tracebusta32 thats to bad they should give you a fall tag.....you can change that if you contact the right people in your state.........jim what can i say , but sorry for your loss ...it is special to hunt with a good dog...your best friend....i use the boytels....http://awthda.home.att.net/junior.html

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » January 22nd, 2009, 1:57 pm

So all you would use the dog for is to break up the flock or is their more.
Alex

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 22nd, 2009, 2:03 pm

Jim this was my first fall with my dog....we didn't kill many turkeys...and he has a lot to learn...but sure was fun having him there....like a whole new ballgame...I haven't been that excited about turkey season in a long time...
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » January 22nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Turkeyhunter,
     I lost jake about 3 years ago now and I so far have been unbale to replace him.  I've had the chance on 2 dogs, a fixed setter and a Boykin out of hunting stock, actually turkey hunters. I've read a good deal about the Boytels and they are supposed to be super.

Morgan,
     You are in for a treat when your dog breaks a flock for you and you get the bird.  I was so proud of him.  It was a bunch of work training Jake.  A lot of walking in the late summer to find turkeys and let him charge them and get crazy.  I actually taught him to bark on songbirds in the yard.  I'd run them out of cedars in the yard in the evenings as they were about to roost and chase after them myself like a fool acting excited and stupid I am sure to my neighbors. I never did really get him steady in the blind after the break, usually my brother or I would walk off a distance with him after the break.

Jim

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion