Heavy Turkeys

charlie elk

Heavy Turkeys

Postby charlie elk » April 23rd, 2012, 4:29 pm

After a mild winter with plenty of exposed food apparently the turkeys had nothing to do but eat. My first was the heaviest kill for me at 28lb. 14 oz. 1 1/2" hooks but a pencil thin 10" beard - hey you can't have everything and I am down right happy :D with this bird. A true butterball he had a half inch layer of fat all over under his skin. Probably why it took him an hour and half to waddle over to me.

28 14oz turkey vic checking it 04192012 web small.jpg
28 14oz turkey vic checking it 04192012 web small.jpg (72.07 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Yes that is turkey dog Vic checking it out. He is very jealous, not understanding at all why he can't come on the hunt.

Another hunter I met & one I heard about each killed 32+ pounders and at least a dozen others have taken birds in the 27-28 pound range. The WI state weight record is 34.5 pounds so there is still a ways to go breaking that one.
Good hunting to all.
Last edited by charlie elk on April 23rd, 2012, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kenturkey89

Re: Heavy Turkeys

Postby kenturkey89 » April 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

That's awesome Charlie and congrats on one heck of a bird!!!
Brian

dewey

Postby dewey » April 23rd, 2012, 9:49 pm

I never thought about the added benefit if the gobblers having more fat on them and weighing more. Congratulations on the pig of a gobbler Charlie between that weight beard length and spur length that is an extremely high scoring gobbler. My largest is 23.5 pounder I got in 20009.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 24th, 2012, 6:54 am

Congrats on the heavy weight Charlie. There has been quite a few good size birds taken this spring, with the easy winter and the hens giving them the cold shoulder, these birds haven't had to run much and burn any fat off them so far. They have been tough to work, but every now and them you find one that wants to play.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 24th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Nice gobbler. You would have to find a big limb to hang that hog from.
How is Vic taking being left out of the action?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 25th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, they are appreciated.

dewey wrote: between that weight beard length and spur length that is an extremely high scoring gobbler

To me with turkey hunting the score is not important and I have never calculated one for the same reason I don't participate in hunting contests. Mind you not because there is anything wrong with scores and contests they can be a lot of fun, rather it is the effect they have on me and my behavior which I understand is a personal problem. ;)

Steve_In wrote:How is Vic taking being left out of the action?

Very, very badly. I shot another turkey this morning and he is currently shunning me. I try and sneak out but he is ever alert so I have to be honest telling him to stay until I return. When I return with a turkey; he loves to smell it but will not let me pet him. :(

Vic at boat checking turkey 04252012.jpg
Vic at boat checking turkey 04252012.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 401 times
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 25th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Haha Charlie. Vic: "Where'd those feathers in the truck come from? Is that blood on your collar?.....you've been turkey hunting again...haven't you?"

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 25th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Congrats on a nice bird! The birds are definetly big this year. In the Learn To Hunt I run there were 2 year old birds that weighed in at 26lbs.!! Hard to explain to these kids how special that is. Cosidering my largest bird was 25lbs, 2 years ago.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 26th, 2012, 7:55 am

WOW those are HUGE birds. so far this year I've shot an 18.5 lbs, 8.5 inch beard, and 1/2 inch spurred 2 yr old. My son shot a 20.5 lb, 9.5 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurred 3 year old. The ones in my area must have been on a weight watchers program all winter! The biggest I've personally heard of was a 25 lber shot down the road by a co-worker.(zone 5)
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 30th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Vic: "Where'd those feathers in the truck come from? Is that blood on your collar?.....you've been turkey hunting again...haven't you?"

That has been tickling my funny bone ever since I read it. :lol: Even though there is no caption contest, send me a PM with the address where I can send you a wingbone call.
BTW; I sent that pic and your caption to my buddy Steve Hickoff, his reply - "priceless"
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin