winter flock

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
benhanson

winter flock

Postby benhanson » January 4th, 2009, 3:11 pm

i was watching the vikings game [:(][:(][:(] and 31 turkey, 3 good toms and 4 jakes, crossed the winter rye field behind our house from one woods too another their was 31 turkeys trying to eat out a patch of rye the size of our living room all at one time then they all crossed our neighbors driveway and slide like piegins on the ice down the snow bank

Gobblerman

RE: winter flock

Postby Gobblerman » January 5th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Cool, Ben....I hope you are able to hunt those birds around your place.  That would be too bad to have a flock like that hanging around and not be able to hunt them come the season.  I think that would be considered torture in this circle!
Jim

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 5th, 2009, 1:10 pm

You lucky [:@], [;)] Heck with the game did you get any pictures?

Does not appear at this time you will have to get up to early this coming spring.

Earl

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 20th, 2009, 12:02 pm

somewhere among all this turkey talk i mentioned seeing a flock of gobblers on a farm between work and home. well last thursday , while in town , i ran into the owner of the farm. he let me hunt coyotes there several years ago, so i asked how he was getting along with the sheep eaters . he now says he likes the coyotes since he puts the sheep in the barn and the coyotes are cleaning up the groundhogs. so, i asked how he was getting along with the turkeys. HE HATES TURKEYS,,,,and invited me to come hunt in the spring..  must have been 35 in a flock out there this afternoon as i passed by.      Hmmmm,,,uh,,,,what should i do ?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 20th, 2009, 12:10 pm

you lucky dog!!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 20th, 2009, 12:28 pm

LUCKY ???
who was turkey huntin' last week?    LUCKY??
i'll go up to that farm and scout around a bit ,,,but i'm hooked on public.
but, ya never know , i might get my big glasses on a longbeard with HAY HOOKS for spurs. might be the place to break in that wingbone early in the season , before greenup.        thanks for the bones Ken.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 21st, 2009, 5:03 am

Your hooked on public? lol

I thought the only reason people hunted public land was because they couldn't get a decent tract of private land to hunt.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 21st, 2009, 5:15 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

Your hooked on public? lol

I thought the only reason people hunted public land was because they couldn't get a decent tract of private land to hunt.

not exactly i have several farms to pursue the wild turkey,yet every spring i find myself chasin' them on tracts of public land.its more of a challenge & you dont run out of realestate near as often

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 21st, 2009, 8:39 am

I don't care who you are,if you have a private peice of land that is holding turkeys, you wont be hunting the calling range because you aren't being "challenged".
I'm not being a smart aleck, I just get tickled at some of the macho talk in here sometimes, if you have hunted long enough you know that hunting any turkey is very challenging.
I have killed birds on public land where they flew down 15 yards from me, also hunted a bird on private land that took 2 seasons to kill.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 21st, 2009, 9:08 am

no one ever said it wasnt a challenge, as you stated turkey hunting IS a challenge be it private or public,its just MORE satisfying when you take a bird on a public piece of ground .i have a tract of land (private)that is very hard to take a bird on ive turkey hunted it for the last 3 years & just took my 1st long beard off of it this fall. but ill bet you a box of shells ill spend more time on the public land this year than i will @ that tract of land due to my second statement, MORE LAND.i dont care who you are, if you have hunted turkeys long enough you know how bad it sucks when you are hunting a bird & he hops the fence on you & goes to a farm that you dont have permission to hunt. macho? no i just hate running out of land so to speak

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion