double beard epidemic

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

double beard epidemic

Postby mark hay » January 18th, 2009, 3:02 am

page 38 & 39 of feb. '09 issue of T & TH shows 5 struttin' longbeards.
it looks to me that the 3 on the left are double bearded. what do you make of it?
in my area i've seen some ,,,never killed one myself,,,and the ones i've seen didn't have two FULL  beards like the BIGSHOTS in the mag. do you reckon they are brothers or cousins?
again, i appreciate the fine photos in our favorite magazine .
     ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

tracebusta32

RE: double beard epidemic

Postby tracebusta32 » January 20th, 2009, 9:48 am

I have read somewhere that it does pass through the genes, so they very well could be brothers
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 20th, 2009, 9:57 am

boy i dont know what happened there i was tryin to bring up an old post on this subject

multi beards revisited 

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 20th, 2009, 10:26 am

It is, without a doubt, a genetic trait that will occur more frequently in some turkey populations than in others.  Here are a couple of examples.

I know one individual who has killed a number of birds with multiple beards while hunting in the same location year after year (northwest U.S.). 

On the 50,000 acre ranch where we hunt Goulds in Mexico, we have killed twenty five gobblers of which three have had multiple beards.  All three have been killed out of the same flock of birds. 

And finally, I have hunted Merriams in NM for over forty years.  I have seen thousands of living gobblers and hundreds of dead ones.  I have seen zero live birds that I could tell had multiple beards and I have seen two dead ones that had multiple beards.  Both of those were killed by a friend who hunts the same flock of turkeys in the same small, isolated area year after year.

Jim

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 20th, 2009, 11:39 am

I hunted Glasscock Island, Mississippi in the late 80's.  I killed one with five beards and I heard of two other gobbler's killed with five beards during that time.  I believe it to be the result of genetics.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion