i think its over

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
turkeydoghunter

RE: i think its over

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 20th, 2009, 12:55 am

had a good time hunting with frank and ken ....i got there wed.....hunted thurs kicked a hen out a tree , the dogs dixie lou and junior were hunting really good......friday ....when ken finally made it we busted a flock .....but they regrouped out of range.....should have set up a little better ......frank was waiting for us at the truck....wish we could have had a bird to show him.....saturday frank went to his hot spot as yall know he did well.....ken and i had covered the wrong side of the road ....we heard alot of shooting on the other side of the road ....frank called and ken went with him....i went in the woods near the shooting....saw a guy looking in the trees and pointing his gun in the air the dogs kicked two birds out of the brush and i saw a bird fly out a tree....i asked the guy if he had shot any ,,,he said no ....i suggested that   we set up and call.....he agreed and i called ...after about and hour ...he decided to leave....he radioed his buddy .....he asked me if i wanted to go with him .....his buddy had broke up the main flock two fields away.....i declined knowing there were turkeys in the the area....after about 40 mins a bird gobbled and soon a young gobbler came in and i took him.....i stayed put for about another hour and got no response.....i decided to move to a little creek (crick) bottom and call i got an answer and another young   gobbler came in just out of range ....the wind started blowing 30 mile an hour ....a branch fell near the bird an it spooked it......i had a hen pop out of the brush about five yards away and it flew off,,,the wind was really bad and hearing anything was impossible.....4 more young gobblers snuck by me and the one i could have shot....saw my [:@] [email=a@!....... ]a@!....... [/email] sunday frank ken and i went to the area i hunted the day before.... buster franks dog had broke a toe nail so we hunted with my dogs the birds were broke up pretty good from yesterday and on the way out that night the dogs broke up some more   birds  .....sun mouning found us by a corn field and frank was playing one of his magic box calls ....a turkey flew in and would have landed but some yoyo was walking through the field.....we started working the dogs and put up several singles ....we had hoped to find the main flock .....a guy called frank sat and said he saw them.....about 30 of em....maybe we should have came in the north end as frank had   suggested........well we set up and called.... frank and ken left after about an hour and a half....i stayed a  the rest of the day  ...i got an answer and saw a bird fly out a tree....but that was it .....on the way out across the road the dogs barked real good so i set up there and called for about and hour with no luck......and that it....saw turkeys everyday and hunted with my good friends......got my first turkey of the year 2009 ......[:D]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 20th, 2009, 9:23 am

RON The Turkey Dog Whisperer first gobbler of '09.

congrats ron, dixy & jun'ya

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 20th, 2009, 1:26 pm

looks like you fellers had i perty good time

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 21st, 2009, 11:51 am

i had a blast mark,i also learned quite a bit TC & TDH are the most knowledgeable hunters i've ever had the oppurtinity to hunt with,& not to mention a hoot in the personality department

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting