Pretty Boy ????

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

RE: Pretty Boy ????

Postby dewey » January 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm

I borrowed the Pretty Boy and Pretty girl decoys from an uncle last year on my first turkey hunt and the first morning I had a tom come within about 10 yards of my decoy.  You could definetly tell when he saw the decoy becasue he started gobblin like crazy, and just about ran up the hill to get to the decoy.  This year I got my own pretty boy and pretty girl decoys and I am going to put the feathers of last years tom on the pretty boy for a little bit more realism.  If you do get the PB & PG decoys make sure to put little sticks in the ground so that the decoys do not start spinning around when other turkeys are looking because even a very slight wind will move the decoys.  In closing I would highly recommend getting these decoys and good luck this spring.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 19th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Gobblernut-

I can thoroughly endorse the Pretty Boy and Pretty girl. I've taken over three dozen gobblers without dekes but last year I was looking for a new angle to hunt turkeys for several reasons. Boy did I find it! The key factors were that I was slowed by knee surgery last year and my 75 year old father can't get around like he used to.

I bought the PB based on realism. If you're going to haul dekes, they might as well look great. I checked out every gobbler decoy available in person at Gander Mt and Cabelas. The collapsible models just didn't have the heft and feather realism that the hard body PB had (more on the heft later). It's essential that you cure and use a real tail. Wrap the PG in a dark towel for paint protection and sound deadening. She fits inside the PB for transport. I made a sheath for the dried tail and it all fits nicely in the carry bag provided with the set.

Pretty Boy was 3 for 3 last year when I used him. The Knight & Hale instructional DVD is extremely helpful. The set works best along field edges where they can be seen for long distances. I hunt private land so other hunters are not a factor. Some excited yelps and the occasional use of a gobble tube will make ol' tom think there's a party going on without him. The dekes will give him visual confirmation that there is party!

A previous poster mentioned sticks to prevent decoys from spinning. I've only encountered this problem with lightweight foam dekes and found them unecessary. The hardbody PB, used with a real tail, will perfectly mimic a strutting gobbler in a moderate breeze. When the breeze changes direction the deke will make quarter turns and bob slightly. The pretty girl lays flat on the ground so no problem there.

Now for the added bonus- natural selection. All three gobblers taken with the PB & PG were 3 and 4 year old bosses. Most of the 2 year olds that have already had their butts kicked will not come in for another trouncing. It only encourages the older boss gobblers! The phenomenon is the same for deer decoys. A forkhorn or basket six usually won't approach a buck decoy but the dominant buck will be pissed.

There's a die hard turkey hunter's testimonial. I don't always hunt with dekes, but these do everything advertised...You can't go wrong with this set.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 20th, 2009, 3:25 am

Well now TC, seems that your opinion on decoy use belongs over in the Not as Sporting...Are You Serious??? thread, which I see you have already contributed to. A thread which I have avoided because of all the nonsense.

Gobblernut has solicited field testimonials before he makes a purchase, not anyone's approval.

Decoys are available for virtually any game that's legal to hunt and their use is not considered cheating or taking a shortcut except by all but the most uppity purist. The great decoy debate is just as silly as folks declaring that bushwhacking a/o ambushing is unethical. Hell, 99% of all hunting or fishing of anything is basically an ambush. That's like arguing that only live bait should be used in fishing and that artificial bait is cheating or unethical.

The bottom line is, decoys or not, ambush or whatever, the majority of the time the animal and his survival instincts win anyway. That's why it's called hunting.

I can appreciate your five hour battle, I have spent entire seasons trying to tag certain tough birds. But this is not the place for that discussion.

JB

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 20th, 2009, 4:38 am

> To me Turkey hunting is about making memories of doing battle with a turkey with a call not just about killing a turkey that came in mezmerized by a silly looking strutting da'coy. <

I would submit that the calling is what got the gobbler interested and brought him in from the next farm in the first place. The decoy only sealed the deal.

All you are doing is appealing to the bird's territorial instinct instead of his breeding instinct. In a best case scenario it is a combination of both. Just as with calling, the decoy will not work all of the time...not every bird is in the mood for love or in the mood for a fight. Sometimes they just want to feed.

> pestilence on the turkey world...<

Acknowledging the field testimonial,this statement exibits your disdain and is not what Gobblernut is looking for... a kick in the shins. You are free to your opinion, that is what forums are for. I'm just saying that it is inappropriate to interject it here, essentially hijacking the thread. Not the place.

JB

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 20th, 2009, 9:13 am

Hell, 99% of all hunting or fishing of anything is basically an ambush.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Fan Club

That is what used to set turkey hunting apart from the other blood sports.  Now it is only about guaranteed, purchased success.

Yeah, like the fly rod trout fisherman, I am a purist.  Fly fishing and turkey hunting used to be the sports of gentlemen with special rules.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 20th, 2009, 9:17 am

silvestris,what took you so long to show up?i knew you would love this one

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 20th, 2009, 10:59 am

I really don't care how others kill their turkeys. The turkeys are not mine.  The various states set their own regulations.  Just don't pretend that you have accomplished anything other than turning God's finest creature into a piece of dead meat when you use those monstrosities to kill one.  Use them if you must, but keep it to yourself.  Their use defines you as a turkey hunter.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 20th, 2009, 3:20 pm

> I really don't care how others kill their turkeys. <

Are we supposed to believe that? The very fact that you posted in this thread indicates otherwise.

> Just don't pretend that you have accomplished anything other than turning God's finest creature into a piece of dead meat when you use those monstrosities to kill one. <

I'm sure the turkeys feel much better after you have killed them using only your calls.  [;)]

Nice to hear from you again William. It was a long boring summer and fall hanging out with people that don't pretend they're above everyone else. I feel better already envisioning you in your buckskins with a wingbone call and flint tipped arrows patrolling the plantation. (auth; JPH).

Gobblernut, I can't cover your back forever... you better hurry up and buy that decoy before these uppities find out where you live.

JB

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 21st, 2009, 5:31 am

i like to set up so a turkey has to be inrange before i see him or he sees me ....that way a dacoy would be useless....set is 90% of the kill[;)]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 21st, 2009, 7:44 am

flambeau just came out with a new one this year called the wobble gobble, it comes with a string & stand,you tug on the string so it will wobble on its stand[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion