Ben Lee?

Support for hopelessly addicted turkey call collectors
Scrapemaker

Ben Lee?

Postby Scrapemaker » January 15th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Can anyone give me some info on his calls.I know they were made in coffeville Al. Is he still alive.Are his calls worth anything?

grizzly

RE: Ben Lee?

Postby grizzly » January 16th, 2009, 12:11 am

sorry to say no he's is not with us any longer. in 1978 i had the prevlage to meet him at the twin teir turkey show in owego i've just gotting into turkey hunting and he made a hugh impression on me. i have a little ben lee slate box call with a round peg i do'nt know if it's worth any thing but it's priceless to me.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 19th, 2009, 9:28 am

Ben Lee Junior is back in business and selling calls like the Super Hen and Twin Hen.  I bought the former last year.  It's a bit cruder than Ben Sr.'s call, but it does just fine.  You can order direct from their website or through Midwest Turkey Call.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 19th, 2009, 10:22 am

shaman do you happen to know the web address.love to have another ben lee call.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 20th, 2009, 1:37 am

I think Ben Jr's site is down-- couldn't find it. However, Midwest is still listing their merchandise:

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/prodlist.asp?cat=Lee~Calls&dn=1&cc=T

I love my Super Hen. It's a lot cruder than the ones that came in the fancy packages, but it is a lot more obvious Ben Jr. had his hand on your call. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 7th, 2009, 2:48 am

Ben Jr's web page is down.  I have several of Ben Sr calls that he signed plus his book that I had him sign.  He was a great ambassador for the sport.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 7th, 2009, 5:52 am

HEY rsmithpa

Welcome to the forum!
I had the pleasure of knowing Ben Lee and we would get together every spring when he would come up to Pa. hunting.
He was a great story teller and had a great sense of humor, we almost hooked up for a hunt in Alabama but he had a seminar and couldn't make it.
I have a box and a super hen of his both signed and also his book.
I used his mouth calls for years, he was quite a guy,I also have his original tape Talking Turkey with Ben Lee and a camo jacket and coat he and Earl Groves sold at one time.

Turkeybuster

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 7th, 2009, 10:49 am

Thanks Turkeybuster!

I would meet Ben every year at the Bow Festival in Forksville, PA and he did a seminar in Lancaster and we spent hours talking.  I have those same tapes.  He once hunted in New Albany, Pa and that is where I hunt still. The same woods that he hunted with one of the towns top turkey hunter.  He was great and I miss all of his stories.
He is the person that most influenced me as a turkey hunter.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 7th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Ben would stay at the Waterville Hotel most of the first week of the spring season and that Is where we would hook up.
The hotel at that time was the gathering place for the turkey hunters, that little town had a carnival atmosphere that first week.
You never knew who would show up, some of the officers of the NWTF would be there some time through the week so you can imagine some of the story telling that went on.
Ben was very heavy at the time and a pair of his underware was hung above the bar signed BEN LEE.
We had some good times.

Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 7th, 2009, 2:46 pm

One of the earliest calling tapes that I heard was made by Ben Lee. I gave that tape to a friend of mine many years ago, along with a mouth call. He spent the night listening to that tape and practicing with the mouth call. The next morning, he could make many calls that were demonstrated on that tape.

About a month ago, Doris and I had dinner with his wife and him and he reminded me of that call and tape. He's become a very successful turkey hunter but has never forgotten that first call and that tape.

Ben Lee was one of the real pioneers in the field and his influence is still felt after all these years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Next

Return to Call Collecting