SURPRISED BY TURKEYS

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

SURPRISED BY TURKEYS

Postby mark hay » January 16th, 2009, 10:28 am

anyone thats been turkey hunting has seen some strange things happen. you know, when they do the things they aren't supposed to . i'll be the first with an example:
my youngest stepson and i were walking slowly across his uncles farm ,,,late morning,,,last day of season. we were walking parallel to a fence row that had about 25 - 30 feet of hay growing on each side . it was the later part of May and the TIMOTHY was higher than any mans waist and thick as hair . a gobbler was in that thick stuff hiding from us. we were so dumbfounded that he was in that jungle we just stood there looking at each other.

Turkeybuster

RE: SURPRISED BY TURKEYS

Postby Turkeybuster » January 16th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Well Mark did you regain your composure and shoot or shoot at him?
TB

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 16th, 2009, 12:50 pm

to answer the first question,,,uh,,,i ain't sure i ever had a composure.
no i we didn't shoot,,,,,that being a result of my own personal goals in turkey hunting,,,i won't shoot a bird i didn't call in. i wouldn't have said a thing to my stepson if he had shot,,,and to tell the truth , he didn't know at the time why he didn't shoot since he was between me and the bird.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 16th, 2009, 1:21 pm

A few years ago on a scouting trip two days before opening day a friend and I were covering some ground and about 9:AM.stopped and we were standing under a pine tree talking.
We talked about fifteen minutes and then a gobbler dropped out of the tree landed 15yds. from us looked us over gobbled twice then ambled slowly up the mountain.
I think he was a under cover turkey spy.

TB

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 17th, 2009, 2:49 am

one morning last spring , the youngest and i were cutting across a wide holler that had very little cover on the ground,,wide open. i heard something and tuned to see a fine longbeard in the air, about 12 - 15 ft. off the ground. he hit the ground less than 20 yards from us. still ain't sure if he was just sitting there as we past by and then flew up and right back to the ground to run off ,,,or if he actually flew from some other ridge ,,or dropped out of a tree. it appeared more to be the first scenario. he ran full throttle out of sight ,,,never made a peep nor putt.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 17th, 2009, 3:55 am

was watching a hen and her young brood one morning. they were at the edge of a small field about 50 yards from the road. i stopped the truck and put the big glasses on them . the hen would close her lips over the stalk of sage grass and then with her mouth closed , move her head toward the top of the grass and strip off the seeds . while the seeds were still in the air she would catch them in the air . the ones she missed the young birds would pick up from the ground .  quite a show

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » January 17th, 2009, 5:15 am

Mornin y'all
  One of my very first hunts turned out kind of odd, at least I thought. I was set up at a fenceline between woods and a freshly cut alfalfa field facing the field waiting on about 12 birds to come across the field. Before I setup I couldn't tell if they were hens, jakes or beards so I set up and waited. Before too long I saw a head pop up over the hill......then another.......then another. My heart was in my throat as I realized I was in the perfect spot and they were coming right at me. As they come over the hill one at a time I slumped as I saw they were all hens. I had to stand up or they would have walked on top of me. The group was between 5 and 10 yds away when I stood up......and they stayed right there watching me. I couldn't believe it! I could almost jump on top of the closest ones but instead enjoyed an experience that I doubt I'll ever have again.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » January 17th, 2009, 2:22 pm

It was when I just started turkey hunting,I was on a farm that I hunt it was just after day light,I was standing in a field and hear some turkeys flying down I look in the direaction that hear them as I did seen them hitting the ground I look for some place to set up, there was too trees I set up to the close one,just as I got sit down I seen them coming over the hill three hens and one gobbler, too of the hens came right at me around the only other tree in the field which was right in front of me I still can see there face when they saw me at the other tree,the boss hen started kneeing at me and I call back to her this when on for about ten minutes with the gobbler behind the tree all fan out and gobbling all I could see is his fan on each side of the tree,now all of this going on at about 15 yards. I never did get shoot at him

deja vu

Postby deja vu » January 18th, 2009, 3:44 am

Over the years I have been surprised many times by what they will do and what they won`t. A quick story that I think of often ... I buddy and I were set up calling some birds straight out in front of us. Before the birds we were working showed, we had a jake come from our hard right, he came down a slight rise.... up to a small swale between us...I would guess about 8 inches deep and 10 feet across. He raised his tail... and waded right across to our side, we were elbowing each other trying not to laugh. After a bit, he waded back to the other side.... then we called some more.... and he did it again.... wish I had a picture of it, he looked like an old lady lifting her skirt to keep from getting wet.[:D]

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » January 18th, 2009, 8:38 am

One morning a friend and I were hunting an area that was new to us and had a gobbler sound off in the distance. We made a move in the right direction and set up together on the same big oak. I had already shot a bird the day before and it was his turn. I made a few soft calls but not a single reply. From the corner of the clearing I caught some movement and could see it was a turkey. This bird was in full strut and closing the distance. My friend had his gun up and ready but I noticed something strange and nudged him and said hold on. It was not a gobbler at all but a hen in strut. We watched her for about 10 minutes untill she faded away perhaps looking for a gobbler. I my 22 years of turkey hunting I have never seen such a display.  What will they think of next?
live to hunt hunt to live

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion