spring stratigies

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
eddie234

RE: spring stratigies

Postby eddie234 » January 16th, 2009, 9:53 am

I have a very small hunting area, any birds in the area can hear me calling. My stratagy is to get into the woods early and set up and start to call at daybreak. I may move once or twice.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » January 27th, 2009, 5:41 pm

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

Last spring, I got into a heated argument with a hen that was leading away a tom and maybe a jake, too (which I though was odd)... anyway, I cut and purred, and made all kinds of noise.  I even went so far as to start whacking my brother with my hat as if there was a fight going on.  I had never done it before, but using a diaphragm AND a box call at the same time really sounded like a fight.  didn't pay off, though.

so my question is, If I plan on challanging a boss hen...should I be the new fiesty gal, or the old gnarly broad who means buisness?  (Freud would have a field day with that question) Who do you think would get the boss hen's attention and anger enough to investigate...dragging the tom with her?

I got into a heated discussion with a hen last year and lost. I threw the book at her. She took Mr. Gobbler away from me.

dabirdbuster

Postby dabirdbuster » March 6th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Hey Doc, I hate to sound simplistic or cliche' but, in my experience I have had the best results with hens by mocking them  note for note, as closely as i can. Letting them lead the way so to speak and using their cadence and/or emotional content has brought them up in my face a time or two. Alas, I have yet to succed with a gobbler in the bag from this stratagem.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 7th, 2009, 6:15 am

Didin't pick up the wing slappin until about five years ago. Helps you out when things look bad but this trick works pretty good.!! Don't leave home without it.Great fly down tool.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 8th, 2009, 4:55 am

the wing ,,,makes a good FAN , for cooling the brow after a long , and upclose battle .

''old school turkey tactics ''

Previous

Return to Strategies