Tom or Jake decoy??

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
ticklishtompro

Tom or Jake decoy??

Postby ticklishtompro » April 21st, 2012, 1:07 pm

This morning we had lots of good action. Lots of lone toms, pairs, and 1 tom with 2 jake sidekicks. They responed well to calling and gobbled a lot. We had out 2 zink avian hen decoys, but the toms were more interested in chasing each other than coming in to the decoys. I am going to use a male decoy with the hens in the morning, but can't decide on weather to use a full strut tom, or a 1/4 strut jake decoy. Would like to hear what others think. I have had luck in the past with both, but can't make up my mind!!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Myakka Chuck

Re: Tom or Jake decoy??

Postby Myakka Chuck » April 21st, 2012, 2:52 pm

sounds like you're in the right spot, ttp, that's some good action, even if a bit frustrating. personally, I'd go with a jake deek because a full fan tom decoy might intimidate your prey into thinking they're up against a dominant bird. I see you're from Wisconsin so I'm guessing your season has only just begun, or is still in early stages. The gobbler pecking order may not be established yet, which may be why those gobblers traveling without hens may be more interested in setting things straight with their compatriots before they try to gather hens. but, regardless, my first statement applies no matter what point in the season you are at. and sometimes that won't even work. I set up a jake over a hen on the ground in TX one morning (4th weekend of season) to intercept 2 longbeards who'd passed me by the previous am like they were heading to the NCAA Final Four. Only one of those guys came by, but he took a long look at that jake about to have his way with little henny penny and decided discretion was the better part of valor. there was a ton of turkeys out there that year, and I think that rubbernecker decided he'd be able to get his own honey pie somewhere down the road without having to fight for her. Good luck and let us know what happened.
mc

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 21st, 2012, 3:25 pm

Actually with the warm weather we have had, a lot of the hens are on nests already which is early for us. The flocks have really busted up and you usually see lone hens now. I was leaning towards the jake, but was just curious to see what others say. We usually have problems with henned up gobblers right now as this is only the second week of hunting. Thanks for the input.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

tbrown

Postby tbrown » April 30th, 2012, 9:37 am

That is a good question yet it can be a tough decision, i struggle with that as well. As a decoy manufacturer i have all these different decoys at my disposal, but the correct or wrong decoy spread can make or break your hunt. I always try to sum up the jake to gobbler ratio when making this decision, you mentioned jakes so it sounds like you had a fairly good hatch. Jakes can ruin a hunt real quick, i can't tell you how many times iv'e been working a longbeard and almost have him in the bag when a group of jakes come in and run him off. It is like a gang of kids reking havoc on a commumity.
I have good luck with a jake decoy on a hen decoy in a breeding position in years with lots of mature birds, they simply won't tollerate it and often times calling is not even needed! Otherwise a strutter also elicts that territorial instinct in other adult turkeys yet a group of jakes will readily come to run him off. Based on your comments there were lots of single and double longbeards out cruising i think i would opt for the jake on a hen scenario, otherwise you might try a full strutt with a jake tail. In years with lots of jakes i do better with just hen decoys. Good luck!

Tad

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 30th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Yes, there are a lot of Jakes around this year. Unfortunately the next morning the toms decided to roost elsewhere and the only thing that came into were 2 jakes! I went with the jake decoy. Oh well lots more hunting to do yet.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » May 2nd, 2012, 11:22 am

What action we've had this season, the 1/4 strut jake decoy has drawn all the attention.

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities