My aggravation scale is red lining

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

My aggravation scale is red lining

Postby Cut N Run » April 21st, 2012, 12:08 pm

I started this morning at the other horse farm up near the highest point in the woods. It is a great place to listen from. It got good and light, but no gobbles were happening. Around 6:20, I heard one fire up a long ways off to the south, probably the second property over. Too far to work. A few minutes after that, another gobbler fired up in the neighboring cattle pasture west of my position. He was probably closer than he sounded because there are already so many leaves on the trees, so I hot footed it his direction using the new riding trail I opened up last Winter. The property boundary goes to a wide & fairly long point that extends very close to the pasture, but the woods are more open along the fence. Plus, I knew where the fence went from welded wire to barbed wire and I started looking for a good set up where the gobbler could get through the strands of barbed wire. I picked a good wide pine with small trees & honeysuckle all around it that would provide great cover for a natural blind. It was about 80 yards from the fence line. As I was trimming a few small treetops to make clearance for the gun and to use as a fast blind, I heard a couple of quiet yelps up near some old rusty farm implements along the other side of the fence line. The gobbler hammered back from out near the middle of the pasture. I found a turkey nesting in among the brush surrounding those implements last year and was glad I didn't get too close and spook her. I didn't want to have to compete with her, though the last thing I wanted to do was alert her to my presence and send her putting off towards the gobbler. I waited a few minutes to make sure I was ready to go if he approached fast. I cutt hard on the box call and he hammered back with a triple gobble. He gobbled twice more on his own a few minutes apart. To keep him interested and hopefully get him out of the pasture, I cutt hard again, but the paddle slipped from between my fingers and made an awful squawking sound. He gobbled back at it anyway. It was now about 6:50 and I could tell he was getting closer with each gobble. I checked the gun's safety, switched the red dot on, and got the gun up & ready to go. He was about 60 yards on the other side of the fence headed my way. I was hoping the hen was going to stay out of the way where I could get a decent shot. I checked my watch and at 6:57, I suddenly heard a shotgun blast from just on the other side of the fence line. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?!?! Two guys jumped up from near the implements and sprinted towards the downed gobbler. After many high fives & much celebrating, they walked back to their set up. I heard one guy say to the other "You ought to thank that guy because he broke that gobbler from being hung up." I got a "Thanks." shout from the shooter. Poop. They were the hen I'd heard. The gobbler wasn't buying their calls, but he lit up and committed to mine. I had no idea I was helping pull him right to their guns.

I suppose I'm happy for them and I'm probably about as bent out of shape as I can get at the same time. It was nice to have a gobbler respond to my calls, he just never made it to my gun.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Re: My aggravation scale is red lining

Postby dewey » April 21st, 2012, 12:47 pm

That stinks Jim! Who would have thought you were bringing the gobbler right to another hunter. Well at least they said thanks for you great calling. Good luck on the next hunt.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm

That hurts. At least they are finally acting right for you.
South Carolina Low Country

maineute

Postby maineute » April 21st, 2012, 2:09 pm

atleast you had all of the excitement of the hunt... You can't be all that mad, they were there before you, I know that is not what you want to hear. Is it you land? Do they have permission to hunt? Why were they even there? Did you try to get on the other bird? I am a little surprised they did not even call to you when you sat down, I always wave so I don't get shot. It will get better for you, now you have a great story.

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 21st, 2012, 3:14 pm

sorry to hear that. but you did get to call one. I called one in for my buddy last saturday he killed a nice bird. since then there not talking to me. they have hens roosting next to them. did get a jake and a 2 year old to come in. They were not talking but came in and i let them go. hope i don't regret letting that 7 inch beard go.
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 21st, 2012, 7:26 pm

They were on land they could hunt and I was on land I have rights to hunt as well. I think they only knew I was human because my skills with that new box call are not what they should be yet. That other bird was too far off the property I had access to hunt. As tempting as it would have been to go after him, I respect posted land and expect others to do the same.

It is just too bad that it worked out for the other guys and not for me. Like you say, at least I got to work a bird. They are calling for steady heavy rain tomorrow, so no hunting for me. Maybe I'll get to play hooky from work sometime next week.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 21st, 2012, 8:51 pm

That's a bummer, Jim, but I've got a good feeling things will work out for you. Keep at it and I expect to see some photos and a success story before too long!!! ;)
Brian

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am

Sorry...been there and you got a thank you!...lol...but also a great hunt and more confidence with the new call...Good Luck Jim

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 22nd, 2012, 7:31 am

Jim .. Just avoid that area on week-ends and hunt it during the week. If those guys thought they had the bird hung up, well they are no problem to have around .. just not right in front of you. ;)
That's always the challenge, when you hunt smaller property fence lines .. flustrating is putting it mild :roll:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

maineute

Postby maineute » April 22nd, 2012, 7:45 am

I was a little worried whe I posted earlier that you may take my post the wrong way, Great attitude, I killed my best bird last year in the rain, don't let that hold you back, I learned from that experience and bought a blind to keep me dry, hopefully I will stay dry this year when hunting in the rain.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion