Something new to try!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
swpatrkyhunter

Something new to try!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 22nd, 2008, 12:00 pm

Hello all! I don't know how the rules regaurding electronic calls is in any other state but my own. Here you can't use them for turkey. Which I would not do anyway. But. All of us has experianced at one time or another a bird coming RIGHT to your calling position instead of where you would like them to. I had two hens this year come straight to me from my roght side rather then even paying attetion to my decoy I had set out. It was raining that day so I didn't have a little comtrapion I had made out. I bought a push-pull box call. A Knight and Hale "Tom Coffin" to be exact. Then I baught a thin metal bar and some screws and nuts with lock washers. I cut and bent the metal to make a bracket to mount the box on top of. I then drilled through the box bottom away from the wood so as not to change to tone too much. The reason I cose this call is because it has a tuneing knob on it so you can adjust the sound. I sharpend the legs of the bracket so it would push into the ground easily. I drilled a small hole in the pull part of the wood pin running through the call. After mounting the box to the bracket I got out a fishing reel and put a swivle hook on the end of the line. I staked the box under a decoy and stepped back about 40 yards. Pulling the line I can purr, cluck, and putt. I used it one dry day after those hens had come up to me. I saw a hen out in the feild that had come to my calling and Then I pulled on the line. She went straight to the decoy! Yeah she smacked my decoy around a little but at least i know my little contraption works!. If anybody would like to make one for themselves let me know and I can give you the info on materials used, Sizes, and send you a picture of what I made. I plan to get water proofing stuff for the call or maybe make another one with a water proof box.

Dank

RE: Something new to try!

Postby Dank » May 29th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Nice!!!
Failure is often our best teacher.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 31st, 2008, 2:24 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I have a jake decoy rigged up when i pull the fishing line it makes his tail pop up, i still haven't used it but i vow to next year

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » June 2nd, 2008, 6:22 am

That's a great idea that's been around for a while.

Much like the push/pull that mounts to a gun, I recall about 10-12 years ago a push/pull call that had a stake mounted on it for that very purpose. Not sure, but I think it was Lohman or H.S.

Haven't seen one in a while, guess the idea never gained a following.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » June 20th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Hi Fan club.  I had not known that something like that had already been on the market a number of years ago. I wonder how it would do now. Back then, Turkey hunting didn't have the popularity like it does now. I like how it works and if it would have still been on the market I would have propobly bought one. LOL. Do you know of any other Turkey hunting items that was on the market years ago but are not anymore? I think it would be interesting to see.

turkey hunter

Postby turkey hunter » August 1st, 2008, 5:18 am

would like to know how you made it. turkeyhunter

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 15th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Well turkey hunter. I purchased a Knight and Hale "Tom Coffin" Why? because of it's plastic construction for the outer shell. I then went to Lowes and purchased a flat metal bar. They have a bin with different sizes. i got a piece about 1/16 thick and 1/2 inch wide. I put it in my vise and bent it at marks I had made by placeing the box call on top of it. Once that was done. i cut the exces off the bottom leaving about 6 inches to stake into the ground. I then ground the ends to points and deburred them. Looking at the box and finding two spots where I could drill small holes for mounting so as not to interfear with the boxes calling sound I drilled my two holes on eaither side of the bottom. Then i placed the box on the bracket I just made and marked where the holes go. Drilled those them placed tiny machine screws with lock washers and flat washers to hold the box to the bracket. After. I put some Loc-tite on the screws to help keep the nuts from becomeing loose. This box call done this way also works well to just place a distance from your location just to keep the Tom from pinpointing your location. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 16th, 2009, 1:51 pm

Now that is inovation at its finest, I'am glad to hear it works for you.

TB

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 19th, 2009, 6:02 am

I never thought of that.....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 19th, 2009, 8:56 am

Get you a cow horn, twenty yards of tubing and a wingbone.  Put them together and don't tell anyone that it didn't work.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Next

Return to Strategies