Decision Time: Your Attention Please, All Passengers

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Your Attention Please, All Passengers

Postby Brian Lovett » April 16th, 2012, 11:05 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Your Attention Please, All Passengers

It was a classic last-day hunt. A buddy and I had scurried through every hollow and ridge top in eastern Kentucky looking for a bird, and we only had time to check one more spot before leaving for the airport.

And of course, there was a strutter there in a stubble field.

“Let’s get him,” I said, almost believing myself.

We parked the truck, slipped along the outer edge of a fence line, used some thick timber to cover our approach and soon set up near where we’d seen the turkey. A large timbered draw separated us from the bird, and the property line was only 100 yards away. The draw ended at the property line, so the bird could easily walk between the line fence and the draw to reach us.

When the turkey gobbled at our first yelps, I thought he might be on the way. But then he approached to within about 70 steps, down in the hollow, and drew a line in the stand. We had no time to waste, so I motioned for my buddy to keep calling while I crawled ahead, hoping to get the drop on the longbeard.

I’d gone about as far as I could when I realized the bird had stopped gobbling. Hmm. Had he seen me? I guess it was possible, but I’d low-crawled like an otter. Was he with a hen or just otherwise being a stubborn turkey? Probably.

Normally, I would have waited there until the bird broke or gave away his location, but airlines don’t wait for foolish turkey hunters. With my buddy getting impatient, I had to decide between trying to yelp the bird in quickly or making a desperate bushwhack attempt.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get this great collection of original "Decision Time" tales!

Steve_In

Re: Decision Time: Your Attention Please, All Passengers

Postby Steve_In » April 17th, 2012, 7:43 am

I would try the yelps. Since you have moved closer it may get him fired up. If he does gobble you at least know about where he is so you can try your desperate bushwhack.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 19th, 2012, 6:36 am

would try the yelps. Since you have moved closer it may get him fired up. If he does gobble you at least know about where he is so you can try your desperate bushwhack.

+1 ^^

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 19th, 2012, 8:05 am

It may be a good play for your buddy to drop back and cutt & yelp to possibly get the bird gobbling again and maybe pursue the departing hen he's hearing. I've used this on hard to get gobblers and it works more often than not.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 19th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Not knowing what calls you had on you while moving in on that bird? This is an ideal situation to run a jake yelp n gobble. With that bird held up and your buddy calling it would make the impression of a jake trying to steal that hen away, and more times than not that bird would of sounded off and came looking for the intruder.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Decision Time