it ain't turkeys but...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

RE: it ain't turkeys but...

Postby trkyklr » January 14th, 2009, 1:41 am

i've definatley been makin some noise with my howlers,but its hard not to transform into tryin to talk turkey with the darn things,maybe ill get it one of these days, until then ill keep anoying the world with my 1/2 a#$ howling

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 14th, 2009, 11:47 am

in turkey calls we huff up the air with the stomach muscles and our diaphram.  the howl ?  get a good deep breath and blow,,,higher pitch , add tongue pressure to the call,,lower pitch , back off on the tongue pressure. to bark ,,, i make a quick huff and open and close my mouth quickly.  the bark howl,,,quick huff followed by a loonnggg high pitched howl. that's the best i can describe how i do it.
myself, i can not control the dome howler ,,,,but the double howler is my favorite dog call ,,,,,,it'll mimmick all the dogs of all ages.
remember the '' non threatening or non aggressive barks and howls'' are best as they don't impose a threat to any coyote of any age that may be within earshot of your calls.  later

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 14th, 2009, 12:01 pm

If you want to kill coyotes forget the howling and concentrate on rabbit,deer, and other distress sounds. Howling is easy to mess up and takes a while to master to get to the point of knowing what to say and when to not say anything. A good rabbit in distress and good setups will kill all the coyotes you desire to kill. If you want to have fun and be challenged more than learn to howl but don't expect to kill as much. Another plus of distress sounds are you never know whats going to come in. I've calls foxes, 1 bobcat, blackbears, wolves, deer, all kinds of birds, and of course yotes.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 14th, 2009, 12:10 pm

thanks for the advice guys & yes wth that is my plan i have a rabbit squaller that i will do most of my hunting with while im learning to use the howler

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 14th, 2009, 12:31 pm

wisturkeyhunter you are correct 'bout the prey in distress sounds . the reason i have targeted the howls is due to the fact that every year more and more people are taking up coyote hunting and most if not all are using the rabbit , woodpecker and fawn bawl.
we  have learned the turkey language and we can learn the song dogs. it's a challenge , but it's fun and rewarding. no , i didn't figure out the dogs language on my own , someone else , actually many others did the hard work for me ,,but i've used it with results . here in the ohio valley , you'll likely see a dog headed for parts unknown if you see him at all after blowing a dying rabbit. and it is really neat to stand in the dark of night or just before sunup and hear a coyote start in with his predawn barks and howls ,and know what he is saying,,,,or here one give out a series of warning bark howls at you because he's seen you . we love to see ol' tom come walking into our setup , sometimes from great distance. it's no different with the dogs . rabbit in distress will generally bring one on the run , whereas the right howls and barks will many times bring them in from upwind and walking slowly and even hunting on their way .

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion