What next?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
cwalker3422

What next?

Postby cwalker3422 » March 21st, 2012, 10:25 am

Near Charlotte NC and am hunting Turkeys for the 1st time ever. Son and I have located some turkeys and was wondering if we should keep calling /locating them or leave them be. We located these birds the first time we tried and I thought I would fall out with excitment. We also did put out some deer corn.We used a owl call to locate and a slate to bring them in along with a box.1 bird was a large tom with a 10 inch beard and was with another bird couldnt tell what it was. Could have shot them both.

kygobbler

Re: What next?

Postby kygobbler » March 21st, 2012, 11:05 am

Welcome to the forum cwalker. Im assuming that turkey season is not in season yet since you didnt say that you did blast that gobbler. If so, leave the calls at home. The reason why is because you dont want to educate them any more than possible. Try and fight the temptation to get close to the birds for the time being. Right now just sit back and try to watch from afar and learn thier patterns. That way when the season does come in you will know where to set up and call them gobblers back in.
Is it turkey season yet?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 21st, 2012, 2:32 pm

cwalker, That's some good advice from kygobbler. Definitely don't call to those birds now or you may not be able to the proper response when the season rolls around.

You need to be careful feeding those turkeys. The laws here in North Carolina state that it is unlawful to "Take wild turkeys from an area in which bait has been placed." (An area is considered baited until 10 days after the bait has been consumed or removed.)
No turkey is worth losing you gun and getting fined over.

I hope they stick around and you get to call 'em up in a few weeks. I'm past ready to go myself. Good luck and don't forget to take pictures when you score.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

cwalker3422

Postby cwalker3422 » March 21st, 2012, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. I will ease in the woods camoed up and watch. Thanks also for the warning about feeding em. I know not to put out any more 10 days before. I have sighted and patterned the 535 and have been practicing with the calls. I am so ready to get on em. Thanks.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » March 21st, 2012, 8:01 pm

Welcome to the board, cwalker. Hope you and your son have a great time hunting. Congrats on locating the birds.

Make sure you read your state's turkey hunting regs a bunch of times. As Jim said, the last thing you want is to break hunting laws. Be safe and enjoy the experience!

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » March 22nd, 2012, 1:42 am

Welcome to the board! Like stated earlier, leave the calls at home! Also watch where they strut, roost, and travel and thats about 90% of the work done.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 25th, 2012, 1:24 pm

leave both the corn & turkey calls at home... there is no sport in bait n a turkey to its death thats not turkey hunting to me at least as i like to have something to do with the harvesting of a turkey more then just placing the feed out prior to the hunt!!!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 2nd, 2012, 10:29 am

Wecom to the forum! Good advice from all. Get to know the birds your hunting. The best teacher you will ever have when it comes to hunting turkeys is the turkeys them selves. Knowing when to call and how to hunt them largely depends on the birds. After you have a few seasons under your belt you will learn how to read the birds temp. Know when and how to call to them. Good luck and welcome to this addictive sport!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 17th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Good Luck and have a blast....

lxtagle

Postby lxtagle » April 17th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Welcome to Turkey hunting. You have received some great advise! From learning the regulations to avoiding the temptation of educating those birds. You've already located their general home, now wait for the right time. Best of luck!
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

Return to Strategies