Can you stay right there Tom while I finish this text ??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Can you stay right there Tom while I finish this text ??

Postby silvestris » January 12th, 2009, 3:07 am

You must completely and totally give yourself to the turkeys if you expect the turkeys to give themselves to you.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 12th, 2009, 3:28 am

i read last year in the papper last year where a hunter had turkey ring tones on his cell phone when the phone went off in the woods a eco officer ticketed for use of a eletronic call.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 12th, 2009, 6:59 am

I leave my cellphone in the truck (no signal where I hunt anyway), but I carry a Mororola Talkabout & wear a headset when hunting there. We communicate back & forth whenever we see or hear anything.  If I hear from one of the guys that he saw birds headed my direction, I know to get ready before they get there & vice-versa. A radio can help us describe what we hear across the property so we can pinpoint where gobbles are coming from. If you hear one gobble you can notify others who might be up-wind and not hear it.

There is also a radio at the house that is always on whenever anybody is hunting out there.  You have to be careful what you say so as not to burn the property owner's daughter's 5 year old ears (if you know what I mean).

We do the same thing deer hunting. Radios have no doubt helped our hunting success rate.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 12th, 2009, 8:13 am

You are right Grizzly about the electronic call problem.  I would never intentionally use mine a an electronic caller, but if I were to fail to turn my phone off and it gobbled and he came, I would be in a quandary.  
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » January 12th, 2009, 12:42 pm

ORIGINAL: grizzly

i read last year in the papper last year where a hunter had turkey ring tones on his cell phone when the phone went off in the woods a eco officer ticketed for use of a eletronic call.

I would of told the officer, ''Don't give me a ticket ...give it to my Wife. She is the one that called and made the ringer go off!''
For those who say tukeys are ugly... just add more gravy!

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » January 12th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Hey there Cut N Run. I might be wrong (more often than not) but is that legal to use radios to communicate between hunters while hunting?

I think that is a no no here in Kansas.... but again I might be wrong.

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » January 12th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Hey GobbleGobble,
       Here in NE you can use radios if both partys are on foot hunting. It is illegal if one party is in a vehicle "searching" for bird or other game. My buddy and I use radios and headsets when we hunt as we split up often. They come in pretty handy. To chime in on the cell phone debate, I carry one for emergencies but its off unless I need it. I maybe part of the "younger" generation but I enjoy my solitude just as much as anyone.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Hey GobbleGobble,

Your question made me re-read the rules & I saw nothing that prohibited radios to communicate here in N.C..  I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed in the first place. I see how it may be an advantage to give advance warning, but you don't have any control over where the birds are going.

I can't tell you how many times one of us has called the other to give a head's-up that birds are on the way, only to have them never show up. Plenty of times when one guy has given up for the day, he's bumped birds toward the other which never arrive. That's Turkey huntin'.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » January 13th, 2009, 9:54 am

There is one thing I did not mention when I started this post and now I have a question because of it...

Last week while sitting up against the tree, my phone went off shortly after the sun had popped up over the horizon. At that point I knew I was not in the right spot (before the phone rang) because the cackling hens were not roosting where they were the morning before.

I finally get to my phone and find out the plumber who WAS coming at noon time was actually on the way NOW.

RATS! So much for hunting. I gathered my stuff and after walking for 10 minutes... guess what I have in front of me? 15 to 20 turkeys and yes I was able to position myself and got my bird.

So my question is there was a good chance that I would never of seen those tukeys had I stayed... so because of the phone call- Do I owe half the tukey breast to my plumber?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 13th, 2009, 9:59 am

NO, you owe 1/2 to the land owner, unless thats you of course then you can keep all of it

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion