What would you do?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
lxtagle

What would you do?

Postby lxtagle » April 17th, 2012, 10:15 am

Quick Scenario: 1. you have worked some gobblers for two hours during bad weather. 2. They get to abt 50 yrds and get hung up. 3. A few soft calls and some good ole purring to put them at ease. 4. A real "lady" starts to yelp, pulling the boys in and away from you.
Moment of truth: what strategy, or better yet, what would you do? Just curious. (I ended up with a fine bird)
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

msbadger

Re: What would you do?

Postby msbadger » April 17th, 2012, 1:37 pm

... been there and because I shoot 20ga...they need to come into 35 max...so I decided to turn facing my head hind me(away from them) and I let loose with a series of yelps and excited cuts the sounded like a crazed hen ...but also added my slate call at the same time with clucks and excited purrs.......they broke off running for me ...I almost didn't get set on them fast enough..10yrds blam!!! done deal

Behind me was a slope...hillside... that fed into a series of springs...The live hen was up hill from my position...which I think helped

lxtagle

Re: What would you do?

Postby lxtagle » April 17th, 2012, 9:16 pm

msbadger wrote:... let loose with a series of yelps and excited cuts the sounded like a crazed hen ...they broke off running for me ..

Wow! :o it's almost like my script. I let loose with my diaphram call, however. Two fields were separated by a line of trees and a small creek, and they were headin' her direction. Just got aggressive with a raspy series of about four yelps and two cuts -the rest is history. :D
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

Return to Strategies