Conclusion: Your Attention Please, All Passengers

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 16th, 2012, 11:07 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I figured calling wouldn’t work. My buddy had hit the bird with his best stuff, and the turkey had slowly lost interest. However, trying to slither into the wooded hollow to ambush the gobbler didn’t seem like a good bet, either.

I cheated and split the difference. The longbeard had been pretty close to where I was, so I found a handy tree, slowly got to my feet and peered around the trunk to look for the bird. After five minutes of boring holes in the woods and listening for drumming, I figured he was gone.

And when I walked back toward my buddy and heard putting on the other side of the hollow, I knew he was gone. But so was I — provided we succeeded in a mad dash to the airport.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get a great collection of original "Decision Time" tales.

xcal1ber

Re: Conclusion: Your Attention Please, All Passengers

Postby xcal1ber » April 17th, 2012, 12:27 am

Welcome to eastern Kentucky Brian. I hope you enjoyed the beautiful scenery because that's about all a man can get around here,especially when dealing with these hard headed birds. :D
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Decision Time