good omens!!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gobbler_getter

good omens!!!

Postby gobbler_getter » January 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm

i hoope that all the turkeys that i am seeing in the fields day after day in the exacty same spots is a good omen for the next spring season!!! hopefully this year i will get my first turkey!!!
hopefully they will migrate to where i will be hunting too.

allaboutshooting

RE: good omens!!!

Postby allaboutshooting » January 10th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Hey Zack,

I hope they do too! You may need to keep an eye on them. At some point the flock will probably break up, hens, jakes, jennies and if there are gobblers with them, will all probably go their separate ways. They'll look for their own area(s) and get ready for the spring breeding season.

If they are not disturbed and there is food, water, cover, roosting areas and strut areas they should stay pretty close. If any of those are missing, they may move to better areas.

You have an advantage now of knowing where they are, so I'd recommend you just keep up with their activities and come spring, hopefully you'll know right where to go.

Best of luck to you. It's a great sport.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » January 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Good luck till spring!!!!zipperman

gobbler_getter

Postby gobbler_getter » January 11th, 2009, 5:20 pm

thanks alot guys and i realize that they will split up but i have seen mostly jakes and hens but before it got really cold and snowy i saw a ton of huge longbeards in all the fields i would pass

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 12th, 2009, 2:22 am

Sounds like a potentially great spot. Wish you the best this spring.

Earl

shaman

Postby shaman » January 12th, 2009, 3:26 am

At this stage of the game, you just don't know.  That is one of the goofy things about turkey hunting. They are a lot like mutual funds-- past performance is not an indication of future returns. I think somebody ought to make it a law that all turkeys need to be stamped with this warning the same way the SEC makes them do on a mutual fund prospectus.

For one thing, turkeys out in the open can be an indication that they have run out of food in the woods.   I had that caution from a grouse hunter who has hunted my land for over 70 years.

For another thing, if the weather gets really nasty, a lot of turkeys can disappear.  I am thinking of the couple of ice storms in recent years that have come just before the warm-up. Whole flocks seemed to vaporize. Then again, the worst ice storm 30 years happened a while back and it didn't faze them in the least.

It has me all wondering what we're going to see in my neck of the woods come Spring.  This Fall, we had oodles of turkeys.  They were everywhere.  This past May, the Cicadas came out at just the right time and fed the poults. By October,  I had little 2/3 scale turkeys running all over the place. On the other hand, what the Good Lord giveth, he takes away.  Normally when the cicadas hit, you can expect one bad year of acorns followed by 2-3 good years.  The bugs cause the ends of the oak stems to break off. Long term, this pruning does wonders, but the first fall after the cicadas is usually bleak.  This year was like that on our ridge-- acorns were not in play for deer season at all.  If you have lots of turkeys vying for little food. . .

You just don't know.  I had the old grouse hunter tell me that he had seen two turkey carcasses frozen in the snow a few years ago, and had decided there weren't going to be any turkeys in the Spring.  That year, I had to beat them off my legs with a stick. The grouse hunter and I both know the father of the local state wildlife biologist, and when "E. F. Hutton talks. . ." -- it still ain't worth spit. About all I can tell you is that the old grouse hunter has shown himself to be about as accurate as the groundhog in predicting what Spring is going to be like.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 12th, 2009, 3:35 am

i was coming home last night about an hour before sunset and saw about 25 turkeys out in one off my feilds there were 4 really big toms can't wait for may 1st just 109 days to go

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 12th, 2009, 7:12 am

The property owner where I hunt saw 25 Gobblers flocked up during deer season.  While not all were longbeards, it is a good thing to know they are around.  Nobody has seen that big gang since the end of December, but smaller groups have been seen on the property.

I worked out there yesterday trimming overhanging limbs off the roads & adding a little brush to a couple of blinds.  I didn't scout at all, though a couple places had obvious recent sign.  It looked like a few birds created the sign, not a horde.

I hope the birds you are now seeing stay in the area you hunt & you get a crack at 'em come the season.  Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

gobbler_getter

Postby gobbler_getter » January 14th, 2009, 3:35 pm

a few days ago i finally saw a few jakes with some decent beards and a couple of great longbeards in the same spot right next to the road at an apple orchard. it is a highway and everything it doesnt even bother them which fasinates me to see how much human race has influenced the animal populations.
another day i saw the longbeards right up behind someones house not even five feet from the back door and everything. hopefully these are good signs to come.
gobbler_getter out!!![:D]

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion