will you shoot a...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
KPcalls

RE: will you shoot a...

Postby KPcalls » January 9th, 2009, 3:55 pm

PG, I don't shoot jakes because that is my decision, shooting a jake means nothing to me. Do I have some petting zoo to hunt in....NO..Most of the birds I kill are on public land. My slam has been taken on public land. I wish all states would follow Mississippi's rule of no jakes( my opinion ). I do find it very amusing that most of the die hard no DECOY guys find it OK to kill jakes in the spring and just whatever in the fall... Amazing !

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » January 9th, 2009, 4:47 pm

I take the youth kids and let them kill the JAKES and then there are toms next year..that how we pass on the turkey hunting TRADITION !!!!!!!! Zipperman

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » January 9th, 2009, 6:56 pm

AMEN BROTHER
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » January 9th, 2009, 6:59 pm

ORIGINAL: KPcalls

PG, I don't shoot jakes because that is my decision, shooting a jake means nothing to me. Do I have some petting zoo to hunt in....NO..Most of the birds I kill are on public land. My slam has been taken on public land. I wish all states would follow Mississippi's rule of no jakes( my opinion ). I do find it very amusing that most of the die hard no DECOY guys find it OK to kill jakes in the spring and just whatever in the fall... Amazing !

My hats of to ya... I can respect that!!!
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 10th, 2009, 3:49 pm

In my eyes hunting is about "hunting" not shooting or killing. There will be days that I might pass on a jake and  other days that I would be happy to take him. I gauge my decisions on first of all legalitly and second of all on the experience. I hunt on my own terms and I hope the rest of you do the same.

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » January 10th, 2009, 4:37 pm

If he comes to my calling I will take him.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 10th, 2009, 5:47 pm

ORIGINAL: NYSuperSportsman

In my eyes hunting is about "hunting" not shooting or killing. There will be days that I might pass on a jake and  other days that I would be happy to take him. I gauge my decisions on first of all legalitly and second of all on the experience. I hunt on my own terms and I hope the rest of you do the same.

Very well said. And I copy that.

KPcalls

Postby KPcalls » January 11th, 2009, 1:32 am

ORIGINAL: OsceWood

If he comes to my calling I will take him.

If he comes to my calling I will help him make it through to the next year.. [:D] 

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 11th, 2009, 7:03 am

If he comes to my calling I will help him make it through to the next year.. [:D] 

Same. 

I started hunting Public land where you'd see more hunters than birds and it took several years for me to score.  I have heard one guy calling to another, each thinking the other was a live bird. Truthfully, neither of them sounded good at all & both called too much. Once I got in on a piece of private land, I wanted to make it as good to hunt as possible.

The piece of land I lease is not huge, but it has a nice population of Turkeys. To make it a good a place to hunt Gobblers, we limit what gets shot.  Some of the guys I hunt with have taken Jakes, but recently we agreed to give them a free pass.  It just makes sense for us to protect our future.  We have no problem letting a supervised kid take a jake to give them a taste of Turkey hunting, But if each of us shot jakes, there would be fewer longbeards later.

I ended the season eating one tag last year.  I had a pair of jakes walk past me at 15 yards on the last morning and only thought about shooting when I first saw their red heads.  Soon as I realized they were youngsters, I let 'em slide. Who knows what they'll be this year...or next?  They might end up as the Boss one day.

I promise if you had the same land to hunt I do, you would probably be the same way.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » January 11th, 2009, 8:51 am

This will be my second spring turkey hunting so I don't think I could pass up a nice jake if it were close enough to shoot at. The one I got last year I really couldn't tell it was a jake, It didn't strut and had a really nice beard and was too far away to see it's spurs.  

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion