NM Goulds Hunt Update

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblerman

NM Goulds Hunt Update

Postby Gobblerman » January 10th, 2009, 5:27 am

Right before Christmas, I introduced a thread on a new hunt opportunity here in New Mexico.  I've had a few inquiries about this hunt, so I thought I would put up another thread regarding it.  I'm not trying to pressure anybody, but I want to make sure everyone knows about it.  It is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for whoever wins it. 

The New Mexico Game Commission has authorized two tags for a spring Goulds turkey hunt in 2009.  This is the first hunt for Goulds in the modern era for the only indigenous Goulds population in the U.S.  One tag is being auctioned on the NWTF website (see their on-line auctions), and one tag is being raffled off between now and the beginning of March. 

There are 3000 tickets available in the raffle at $10 each.  The raffle hunt winner can either use the hunt themselves or they can sell, barter, trade, or otherwise dispose of the tag however they want (the tag can likely be sold for several thousand dollars).  The monies raised in both the auction and the raffle will be used to support Goulds wild turkey management efforts in New Mexico. 

If any of you out there in T&TH forum-land are interested in obtaining raffle tickets for this hunt, please let me know (you can p.m. me).  ...Or if anyone would like more information on this hunt, I can post it here.

I have been involved in setting up this hunt and have been to the hunt area on many occasions.  The hunt will take place in the extreme southwest corner of NM, known as the "Bootheel" country, right above the Mexican border.  It is a unique, sparsely populated area, and there are a good number of Goulds turkeys scattered through the mountain range that makes up the Goulds habitat.  (I will try to put up a picture of the area in another post). 

The winning hunter can kill one Goulds gobbler during the April 15th to May 10th NM season.  If any of you decide to buy a ticket(s), and end up winning the hunt, you can rest assured that I will provide as much information and assistance as I can to insure you have a great hunt!

Jim

Gobblerman

RE: NM Goulds Hunt Update

Postby Gobblerman » January 10th, 2009, 5:35 am

This is a picture of the area where the NM Goulds hunt will take place.  Sorry that the picture is so small, but it kind of gives you a feel for where you would be hunting (should you be the lucky winner!).   The draw ("holler" for you Southeasterners Image), in the foreground always has a good number of Goulds in it, and some really nice gobblers. Jim

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 10th, 2009, 6:18 am

Jim that is great news on the Gould's hunt and to know that the Gould's population is growing. You are lucky to be part of this historical event.

I am very much interested in the raffle tickets. Please post or PM me ticket purchase info. Thanks.

Earl 

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm

me too [:)]

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 11th, 2009, 10:08 am

Thanks guys,....I have been emailing those of you that have expressed interest, so let me know if you are not getting the PM's.
Jim

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 5th, 2009, 8:26 am

Sorry for the imposition of bringing this thread up again, fellas, but I just want to make sure everybody that might have an interest knows about it. 

Those of you that might be attending the NWTF convention in a couple of weeks will be able to purchase tickets there, as well. 

Jim

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion