TWO EYES OR ONE ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
greyghost

RE: TWO EYES OR ONE ?

Postby greyghost » January 10th, 2009, 2:49 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

ORIGINAL: greyghost

I am both ways depending on the situation. But for the most part old one eye. (aiming)

Earl

[:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:)]

Now that I read it thinking maybe your way, it was bad wording all the way. [:D]

Earl

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 10th, 2009, 3:02 pm

You should always shoot a shotgun with both eyes open.  Why?  Well, for two reasons, depth perception and field of view.

But wait, you say, "I am cross dominant and cannot shoot with both eyes open".

Yes, you can.  But you have to mount and sight in a reflex, red dot or Holosight.  Once you have one of these parallex free sights on your shotgun, not only can you shoot with both eyes open, but you can shoot from either shoulder with both eyes open

I speak from experience.  I started with the Holosight but changed to the Trijicon Reflex II because of fear that the Holosight batteries would go out on me at an inoppertune moment.  Trijicon now produces a Tri-power reflex sight that may be best for those who shoot from within a fully enclosed blind because of the option to use a battery setting in addition to the tritium and ambient light options.

Your wingshooting (doves & ducks) will also improve as you become comfortable with the sight as well.

Cross-dominance.  How can you tell if you suffer from this malady?  I believe that you can take a paper towel cardboard insert, pick a target at about 15-20 yards and without thinking, raise the cardboard tube to your "eye" to look at the object and you will, in most cases, bring the tube to your dominant eye.

Another method is to place your hands together at arms length and make a hole with your thumbs and forefingers and look at the target.  Bring your hands to your "eye" and that will be your dominant eye.

As stated above, sometimes your dominant eye will want to change or waver.  The use of the reflex, red dot or Holosite will make that situation irrelevant to your shooting with both eyes.  God gave you two eyes for a reason.  Use them.

Oh, and JPH, it is broke.  I am cross dominant, right handed with a left master eye.  Trust me on this one and you will thank me.  I find it hard to miss a dove anymore and I have not missed a turkey in (Knock on wood) ten years.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 10th, 2009, 3:35 pm

In wingshooting I shoot both eyes open. It really is the best way if you can do it.

I use a Tijicon on my turkey gun and I THINK I have both eyes open. I shoot both eyes open at the target range, but I've only had it one season and even though I thought about it, I never noticed when it was time to shoot at the real thing.[:D]

Before the Tijicon I had a scope and used both eyes with that.

Before the scope I had iron sights and closed one eye.

When I shoot off-handed, I close my dominant left eye.

Checking eye dominace is easy. Point your finger at something about 10 or 15 feet away with both eyes open. Close one eye then the other. Your dominant eye will have the finger pointing at the spot. The non-dominant eye will be off a bit.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 10th, 2009, 3:43 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

I am both ways depending on the situation. But for the most part old one eye. (aiming)

Earl

[:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:)]

Now that I read it thinking maybe your way, it was bad wording all the way. [:D]

Earl

your wrong on the thinking your way part there earl,lol.. i was thinking more in the "ditto" category but now that you are mentioning it it is kind of funny

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 10th, 2009, 3:43 pm

I use one eye on the turkey gun due to the sights and both eyes for sporting clays and skeet.

Tbuster

JPH

Postby JPH » January 11th, 2009, 4:37 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris
Oh, and JPH, it is broke.  I am cross dominant, right handed with a left master eye.  Trust me on this one and you will thank me.  I find it hard to miss a dove anymore and I have not missed a turkey in (Knock on wood) ten years.

Thanks for the advice. I've missed two in my whole life. I do not wing shoot anymore (too busy with deer/turkey) so my gobbler gun is the only one I ever tote that does not allow me to use my left eye.

I've got a red dot on my kids .243 as we speak. I might consider moving it over before spring.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 11th, 2009, 5:06 am

JPH, if you can, put the red dot on a .22 and spend an afternoon shooting from one shoulder and then the next with both eyes open.  It really helps you get comfortable because of the lack of recoil.  Then put the red dot on your turkey gun and spend some time shooting at targets with dove loads for the same reason.  Then it is time to make sure your turkey loads are hitting in the right place at the right range.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 12th, 2009, 10:55 am

I shot with both eyes open a lot of the time when I had fiber optic sights on my 835. Now I have a "0" power red dot on it and shoot all the time with both eyes open. The red dot is a blessing to us old farts with the fuzzy vision. I love it.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » January 12th, 2009, 11:40 am

2 eyes all the time unless it's a peep sight and the bsa red dot is great till the batteries go low, just gotta keep my eyes on that. With the 42 mm objective lens, aquistion of the target is fast and furious, and yes it does take the fuzzies out of the equation.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 12th, 2009, 12:40 pm

4 i wear glasses[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion