SMOKE N FIRE

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

RE: SMOKE N FIRE

Postby trkyklr » December 31st, 2008, 3:47 pm

that dude that does all the demo shooting with a long bow did the axe shot today on impossible shots i think his name is byron fergusson, wooden arrows, 15 yards

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 2nd, 2009, 11:23 am

WELLLL Mark, did you just empty that .54 or split the ball? [:)] Inquiring minds want to know[;)].  [&:]Have a Happy new year anyhow!!!!
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 2nd, 2009, 11:25 am

i loaded my ball shooter last sunday morn. today i finally shot it so i could clean it. stuck the double bit ax in a large chunk of firewood and stepped off 20 steps. but i cheated and used my stool and sticks that i use for songdoggin'. though i must say that the ax blade is a horrible target to draw a bead on. but the ball went into two pieces and left thier mark in the wood and on both sides of the ax blade.
 what tickles me more than that is the fact that the CAP could not be heard as the gun fired . I LIKE RAPID IGNITION in my charcoal burner.
i did this down in my nieghbors field  about an hour ago . had to put the rifle in the truck cab,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guess what stinks.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 2nd, 2009, 12:22 pm

"had to put the rifle in the truck cab,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guess what stinks. "  Black powder does not stink.  Brings back lots of memories, friends, family, hunting and shooting.  Good news is my wife does not mind it either.  She is a stone cold shooter.  Never wanted to hunt but loves to bust caps on target.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 2nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

hey steve
i did cheat a mite didn't i . DA'GUM WOMEN SHOOTERS ,,,i got my honey shooting when we started courtin',,,,,then over time aquired her own shooters,,,,,then overtime I,ME,MYSELF sold or traded hers off ,,,she just didn't know when to quit showing me up in front of friends. she won't hunt and i'm really glad,,,the way she shoots and does many other things,,,,she'd probably fill her turkey tags with a switch or something.
and it's a .50 and needs someone that can really see and shoot to prove her out. i get a big kick out of how fast it ignites when i've done my part right and the fact that it just sits there in my hand when she goes off.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2009, 3:48 am

hey STEVE
a co-worker stopped by last evening with his latest purchase. a double barreled ,,,looks to be a 12 bore,,,in fairly good condidtion. it was no doubt a beauty when it was young ,,,engraved everywhere but the barrels. the stock has a crack near the wedge in the fore end. one nipple is missing and the other needs replaced,,,but the threads look good. i tried to dissassemble but it seems to be rusted in the hook area ,,, ididn't force it,,,but rather advised him to soak it a while. the right lock gives a distinct CLICK  in the safe position , but makes no sound at full cock. the left sounds good in all positions ,,, very distinct CLICK.  the right barrel is pretty thin at the muzzle , while the left appears to be in excellent condition. the old gun shoulders and swings real SWEET. we couldn't make out any markings , but it still needs some extensive cleaning.
he picked it up for $80 for a wall hanger,,, but has since thought about getting it thoroughly checked out and trying to shoot it.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 10th, 2009, 8:35 am

I have a CVA Express rifle, a side by side .50 cal with #11 cap ignition and also a T/C Black Diamond .50 cal with a Leupold 2.5x8 on top & 219 primer ignition.

I've shot at two 8 pointers and taken them both with the T/C, (one scores 140 inches B&C).  I was ready this ML season, but didn't see a decent buck to shoot.

I shot many deer with the CVA side by side, including a doe off-hand at 97 yards with a head shot (luck mostly).  I figured if I miss, I miss clean & if I hit, game over.  I guessed right.

About 15 years ago, I was also hunting with the side by side one day at a piece of property I used to lease not far from the house.  It was an old farm that would eventually be turned into a sub-division & I could hunt it until that happened.  I was set up in one of my favorite archery stands about 30 yards into the woods off a powerline right of way.  There was an old barbed wire fence that ran parallel to the powerlines through the woods & where the fence crossed the lowest spot in the terrain, the deer used it as a regular crossing.  During the previous winter, I clipped the section of fence where the deer perferred to cross, making it a deer super highway as they no longer had to squat to get under or jump over the fence.  There was a few large oaks right at the crossing spot the deer already fed heavily at, so all I needed to do was to get in my stand in one of them without getting busted and be ready to shoot.

On the Saturday of Muzzleloader, rain was forecast, but since it was the only day that week I had to hunt & I would go until I got too wet.  Just after dawn when the deer usually crossed that gap in the fence, a fox ran through from behind me and his rustle of the leaves got my heart pounding.  No deer though.  By about 9:30, I wondered if some dogs might have stirred the place up at night, 'cause I hadn't seen the first deer.
 About that time, I saw a doe coming to my left from up the hill & her tail was wagging out straight behind her.  I knew there had to be a buck behind her.  Suddenly behind her, there was a loud crashing of antlers and I saw the tops of small trees shaking and whipping around.  As the doe walked forward toward the gap in the fence, the fighting would stop.  Every time she stopped and looked back, the others would fight like crazy.

The two bucks were both good ones.  One was a tall-racked 8 point a little wider than his ears that had a long, lean body and was not as mature as the other, but had a lot of fight in him.  The other buck was a stocky, short-coupled 9 pointer with a lower, but wider, heavier rack and they were both very serious about getting with that doe.

Since the wind was in my favor and they were already headed toward me, I held off until they got closer.  It was incredible how savagely these guys were fighting, but every time the doe would walk, they would quit scrapping and follow until she stopped.  By the time the doe was about 30 yards out and the bucks were around 50, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I decided to take the bigger bodied buck as the other had some growing to do and looked like he might get huge if I let him grow into his frame. He had the kind of deer genes I wanted to keep in the area.  I drew down, rolled the right hammer back, held just behind the shoulder of the 9 point & the CVA spoke.  Since it was a still day with rain coming, it took the smoke a bit of time to clear.  When it did, the doe was standing where she had been and both bucks were still facing each other.  I'd missed!  A 50 yard slam dunk broadside shot with a rifle I shot at least 3 days a week over the summer. I quickly pulled the left hammer back, took careful aim a little higher & let it roll.  When the smoke cleared, everything looked the same as it had before I shot.  NO WAY!  Missed again!!?

I grabbed a speed loader from my pocket, re-charged the right barrel and rammed the patched round ball home. I was trying to be as quiet as possible and the deer were not bothered by my sounds.  Except, when I put the cap on the nipple, my in-line capper made a tiny "plink" noise & the doe freaked out.  She ran towards me and stopped directly under my tree.  Both bucks watched her and started to follow.  I shouldered the rifle and waited for the buck to clear from behind a holly tree.  Just as I pulled the hammer back, he wobbled & fell over in the trail.  The 8 point looked at him, then looked toward the doe under my tree.  He started trotting as she headed out toward the powerlines.  He stopped broadside 4 yards from my tree & since I already had the hammer back, I drew down on him. I already had one deer down and this guy was too good looking and would only get bigger.  I let him pass.

The 9 point on the ground had two holes in him, EXACTLY where I'd been holding about an inch and a half apart.  He weighed around 235 pounds on the hoof and since I'm 155 soaking wet, it was quite a struggle for me to get him (field-derssed) into the back of my truck. I drove the truck as close as I could and got the rifle back in the case before the bottom fell out.  I was sopping wet when I checked that deer in, but I did so wearing a huge grin. 

From the time I first saw the doe to the time I shot, it was just under 15 minutes, even though it seemed like an hour in slow motion.  I wish I had that whole episode on tape, because it was the most severe buck fight I've ever witnessed and it was also a most impressive display of how much fight a mortally wounded buck has in him. Now that property has houses built all over it. One night last year while driving my way past there I saw a magnificent buck eating the shrubs in front of one of the houses.  I'd like to think he was the off-spring from the one I let go. The land was developed before I could hunt there the next season, but I'm sure I did the right thing for the herd.

___*Try these tricks for capped muzzleloaders* ____

Here is a trick to get your cap-fired muzzleloader to fire more consistently; Once you load the charge of powder in the barrel, remove the nipple, run a pick through it to make sure it is totally clear, but before you screw it back in place, put just a few kernels of smokeless powder on top of the powder charge.  A few flakes of smokeless will ignite fast & easily and burn hot enough to get your black powder to have a more positive ignition and will help guarantee a shot when you pull the trigger.  Don't go hog-wild with the smokeless powder as Muzzleloader barrels are not built to withstand the pressures...4 or 5 flakes of smokeless is enough to do the trick.  Hope that helps.  I've never had a miss-fire or a hang fire with this trick.

You can also put the corner of a clear sandwich bag over the already capped nipple and wrap a bread twist-tie over the bag around the base of the nipple to hold the bag tightly in place.  That will keep the cap drier, help hold it in place, and not affect the hammer fall when you shoot.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2009, 8:53 am

very fine detailed account CUTNRUN,
I  ran across one of those express rifles a while back. couldn't make up my mind . within a few days though i did . went back to get it and of course it was gone.
i hope you are aware that some plastic bags will create enough static electricityto ignite black powder.     careful

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Jim good story.  I had a buck do that.  Slipped a .54 between ribs on both sides.  He just moved as if startled by the shot. 
 "A few flakes of smokeless will ignite fast & easily and burn hot enough to get your black powder to have a more positive ignition and will help guarantee a shot when you pull the trigger. " The smokeless will be harder to ignite.  Try a dribble of 4F instead.

Mark that sounds like a good deal.  Cracked stock is a bummer.  Sometimes they are so oil soaked it is just about impossible to get any glue to stick.  I always load one barrel, cock both hammers ond touch them off.  If the hammer in the empty barrel is down I know I have some work to do.  Repeat for the other barrel.  Track of the Wolf sells oversize nipples.  Don't buy the OS taps, just grease them up and run them in.  Back action locks??

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2009, 2:16 pm

sorry STEVE,,,you'll have to clarify ''os taps'' and ''back action locks''

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion