What Shotshells with you use this Spring?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
grizzly

RE: What Shotshells with you use this Spring?

Postby grizzly » January 4th, 2009, 2:22 am

same gun and shells i used the last two years a mossberg 500 20 guage with a factory mod. choke and remington nitro pheasant loads in number 6 shot

shaman

Postby shaman » January 4th, 2009, 4:45 am

Mooseboy and I both shoot 3" 12GA #4 Federals out of Mossy 500's.  Angus shoots a 3" 20GA #4 out of an old Mossberg bolt gun.

I've been using the same combination of choke tube and ammo for 13 seasons. The choke tube came from a classified in the back of T&TH back when turkey choke tubes were not something you just went out and got. I forget the name.  It worked with 3"  #4 Federals-- that's all I know.

This year I'm going to try a Dead Coyote from Carlsons.  Brian Warner over at Heirloom Callssaid it really improved his pattern with the Federal #4's.  If you read my other posts today, you'll know the other reason I'm trying choke tube normally meant for varmints.

My turkey buddies from way back used 3" #4 Federals.  I was hunting with a clan in Hernando, MS. back in the 80's  and they all used them. I gave them a try after I finally bought a 3" shotgun.  They have that Flight-Control wad thingy now.  I haven't seen a huge change-- it's all been pretty good. Both my sons use them. Angus used the 3" #4 20 GA load. Inside 20 yards it knocks them just as dead as a 12 GA.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 4th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Fantastic! What a great variety of shotshells, chokes and guns. I really appreciate all the responses. It just goes to show how many different loads and chokes folks use to kill a turkey!

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dawei

Postby dawei » January 9th, 2009, 7:58 pm

ORIGINAL: grizzly

same gun and shells i used the last two years a mossberg 500 20 guage with a factory mod. choke and remington nitro pheasant loads in number 6 shot
[color="#0000ff"]Good Combination. Are Remington® #6 loads 3" od 2¾"?
[/color]
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

dawei

Postby dawei » January 9th, 2009, 8:03 pm

ORIGINAL: allaboutshooting

What brand of shotshells do you plan to use this Spring? Will you shoot lead or tungsten-based shot? What size shot will  you shoot?

Do you plan to shoot what's worked for you in the past or are you going to try something new?

Will you pattern your gun before the season? If so, how will you do that?

Thanks,
Clark
[color="#0000ff"]Using My Mossberg® 20ga Mdl 500C, your.550" Swarm™ Choke & Winchester® Supreme™ 3" 1 5/16oz #5 shot (#STH2035). If using Hevi•Shot™ Hevi13 I use a Hastings® Extended Turkey Choke .570".[/color]
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 9th, 2009, 11:36 pm

3 inches

jpb

Postby jpb » January 10th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Hey Clark, I will be using the same setup you helped me out with last year.3" Win ex range supreme eliet 1 3/4 oz with a ture glow ssx choke in the Nova. It worked last year,if its not broken im not goint to fix it.
Joe

TWOWITHONE

Postby TWOWITHONE » January 10th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Winchester ext range # 6 shot. Aint disapointed me yet.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2009, 9:09 am

Remington premier magnum 3" 2 oz. # 5's Remington 870 sps Supermag  kicks gobblin thunder .665

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » January 16th, 2009, 9:32 am

What brand of shotshells do you plan to use this Spring? Will you shoot lead or tungsten-based shot? What size shot will you shoot?[color="#0000cc"]
Winchester / Lead / I patterned 3" 1 3/4 oz. #6 last fall I bought a box of #5 and would like to try and get out before the season and pattern them
[/color]
Do you plan to shoot what's worked for you in the past or are you going to try something new?
[color="#000099"]I'll try to get out and pattern my number 5's (I'd like to use them more than the 6's)[/color]

Will you pattern your gun before the season? If so, how will you do that?
[color="#0000cc"]I use a bench with sandbags / 20, 30 and 40 yards / then I will deep clean my shotgun. LOL[/color]

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting