will you shoot a...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
KPcalls

RE: will you shoot a...

Postby KPcalls » January 7th, 2009, 5:37 pm

I don't shoot jakes...

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » January 8th, 2009, 8:40 am

I love it... No body will shoot a jake...

Take that prime private land away and you might change your tune[;)]

I'm a TURKEY hunter... A WILD turkey hunter!!!

Turkeys I hunt don't come in with 3 of there buddy's waving flags arguing over who wants to get killed...

After 10-15 days of chasing them up and down mountains and a jake happens to give you a shot... You take him and thank the lord for your bird...

Sorta reminds me of a article I read in a T&TH mag were a silver spoon hunter brags about his 200th turkey that he killed... They had a big ol party...

He said he did it in a 30 year span...

Take that guy out of the petting zoo's that he hunts and I'll be that story would of been more like his 30th bird...

And I've heard this guy run a call before and I highly doubt the number would be that high[;)]

"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

JPH

Postby JPH » January 8th, 2009, 9:37 am

Pressured Gobblers, hunt any legal bird you wish. No need to take shots at other hunters.

With a few exceptions, the hunters who have posted that they choose to hunt adult gobblers have made no attempt to disparage those who shoot jakes.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 8th, 2009, 9:44 am

Wisconsin has 6 5 day seasons. I usually get one of the first 3 through the draw then buy a couple for the last 2 seasons sometimes multiple tags for each season. If I shoot a jake for a season I only have 1 tag for I'm done hunting for a little while or maybe the season. I'll pass one almost everytime in that situation. I'd just rather keep hunting. If I have multiple tags and I feel like shooting one I'll do it.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 8th, 2009, 10:10 am

PG, your point is acknowledged.  Taking a jake in some places is more of an accomplishment than taking an adult gobbler in others, no doubt.  I have no problem with anyone who shoots a bird, gobbler or jake, if they are hunting an area or in a situation where gobblers are hard to come by.  I guess I would say the only time I have a problem with hunters shooting jakes (or mature birds) is when it is nothing more than a body count to them.  I have known some individuals with an attitude that the hunt is nothing more than an exercise in seeing how many birds they can put on the ground, and that just does not settle well with me.

Personally, I have killed a number of jakes over the last forty years, mostly by accident, but not all.  I don't intentionally shoot jakes now because I mostly hunt areas where I have a reasonable chance of killing a mature bird if I stick with it.  If I hunted where I did not have that reasonable chance, then I would probably have to seriously reconsider my position.

Jim

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 8th, 2009, 12:00 pm

HI PRESSURED GOBBLERS

That is said like a Pennsylvania Gentelman.
You know the old saying-If you can kill a turkey in Pennsylvania you can kill a bird anywhere!!!![:D][;)]

Turkeybuster

shaman

Postby shaman » January 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

About the only shots on turkeys I regret from my first decade of turkey hunting were the ones I held on jakes. I would have taken my first turkey a lot sooner. I would have had at least a few extra tags filled.  That was at a time when the flocks were just starting to grow in the state, and just seeing a turkey during season was challenge.

Nowadays, I am just as likely to pass on a jake as not. However, it is because I know that I have something older sure to be by later on.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 9th, 2009, 2:33 am

about four springs ago i;d a problem with agang of 3 jakes who would drive toms off when they would come in .i shot the biggest of the 3 and the next week i got a nice long bread.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 9th, 2009, 6:50 am

Them Jake gangs can be a pain at times[:@], but they are funny in their actions to watch.[;)] Good thought on killing one, you must have taken out the bully.

Earl

boomer

Postby boomer » January 9th, 2009, 11:28 am

I will shoot a jake with my bow but will try to wait for a longbeard. As for when Im using a shotgun its only longbeards.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion