Brood & Poult Sightings

charlie elk

Brood & Poult Sightings

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I have been hearing reports from SW WI border area of numerous softball size poult sightings making me a little jealous. 
But now I am feeling better; this morning on my way to work I too witnessed softball size poults.  About a dozen with 2 hens.  A sight for sore eyes needing to see rejuvenation after a tough winter.
Anyone else seeing poults?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

RE: Brood & Poult Sightings

Postby kygobbler » June 25th, 2011, 3:02 am

Last night I called my cousin to see if one of his sons could go squirrel hunting in the morn. Well his wife answered the phone and after hello, the first thing out of her mouth was the turkey report. She told me that she has seen several turkeys around the house and a bunch of little ones with them.[:D] I dont even have to ask any more, she automatically tells me, I guess she got tired of me asking.[:D] Well, the boy couldnt go but I went any way. I busted 2 hens off the roost but didnt see any little ones. I was only able to hunt for 45 mins but I was able to get my limit of 6. Not too bad of a morning. Hopefully this evening Im going to take my 3 yo daughter fishing for the first time. I hope she catches a big one.
Is it turkey season yet?

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » June 25th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Brown County/ Oconto county no poults yet I've seen several hens all alone and after the cold wet week we've had it has me worried. rained 5 days straight and temps in the 60's.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 27th, 2011, 10:20 am

Small poults are hard to see we can only hope that the poults are there but not big enough to see yet...
Early last fall I found broods with young the size of chicks, apparently very late hatch. 

While out this weekend I saw some hens at first I thought to be alone, they left the scene alone.  After staying put and glassing for 20 minutes, about 20 very small, less than robin size birds came out of the long cover to scratch around.  At first I thought they were average run of the mill tweety birds however they turned out to be poults.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 3rd, 2011, 8:24 am

Hit the jackpot of poults today.  Walked some low valleys with springs and lots of bugs.  Found several family flocks bugging. I had not seen a turkey in any field for weeks which was worrying me.  Now I am feeling better.[:)]
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin