Decision Time: Thy Partner's Turkey

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Thy Partner's Turkey

Postby Brian Lovett » February 23rd, 2011, 4:01 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Thy Partner's Turkey

I'd pretty much had it for the morning. A promising start had turned into a merry chase behind a breeding flock of Rios that eventually wandered off the property. By 10:30 a.m., my friend and I were out of patience and options.

Then one of those "Texas things" happened.

I'd yelped for the umpteenth time on a slate call and then closed my eyes for a catnap. Just as I was getting comfortable, however, a gobble floated out of the timber. Yeah, right. I closed my eyes again. Another gobble erupted.

OK, fine. I nudged my friend, and we gave chase. Within minutes, the bird was gobbling regularly at my calling, but he seemed stuck at a small, open flat about 120 yards below us. My buddy hadn't killed many turkeys, so I set him up near a small rise and walked behind him to float-call. With any luck, I'd pull the longbeard right down my friend's barrel.

And it was working, too. The bird eventually broke and was making steady progress toward us. But when he got within 60 yards, he made a hard right and seemed as if he was skirting around my friend's position. Crap, the gobbler was making a big end-around and taking a circuitous route to my calling.

I quickly scurried by my right, hoping to readjust the turkey's route and bring him back within shooting range of my friend. However, the gobbler had already made a wide circle and was getting pretty close to me.

Within seconds, a white head and buff-tinged fan would pop into the open, and I'd have to choose between shooting or letting the turkey walk off in hopes my friend could get a shot later.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get great deals on all the new turkey gear you'll need for Spring 2011

dewey

RE: Decision Time: Thy Partner's Turkey

Postby dewey » February 23rd, 2011, 5:07 am

I think I would sit down and give that gobbler a face full of turkey load. It would have been nice to get you friend a shot but sometimes it doesn't always work the way you plan it.

I am looking forward to seeing what you did.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

educote

Postby educote » February 23rd, 2011, 8:59 am

Yep, this is just how it works out sometimes. I'd have to shoot him. He would be first on the gun again the next setup but you got to take the bird in the hand.

I had a similar thing happen to me as I float called but it was a different bird that got there ahead or us, circled me and was trying to walk up just behind and to the right of my buddy. Plus, he was about to walk out on a woods road where I was laying down...I shot him in self-defense.

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » February 23rd, 2011, 2:18 pm

Wow! What to do on this one.......
We are there to kill turkeys, and if you have done your best to put your partner in the best situation and favor for the kill but it doesn't pan out that way, then you have done all you can do. Unfortunately we can't work special mojo on the Tom's and make them do what we want them to do. Pull the trigger, and the next time set your friend up to be the lead off again.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 24th, 2011, 4:22 am

All I've read says there's no shotrage of turkeys in Texas. If I had a tag left, I'd bust that bird and find another one for my buddy.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 25th, 2011, 7:32 am

Depends on a lot of things,....but for me, if it's two good friends who are experienced hunters that are hunting together, it makes little difference who pulls the trigger.  Now, if it was an adult and a kid,...or a guy that's killed tons of gobblers hunting with a newbie,...or some similar circumstance, then the decision would be a much harder one to make.  Under the described circumstances, though, I would most likely be taking the shot if he showed.

Jim

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 25th, 2011, 8:34 am

With the ability of a bird pinpointing a sound, your movement is what he was coming to, he could hear you moving away from him and he was going to cut you off. They are experts at pinpointing a sound or a caller, that is why they can come from a 1/4 mile away and stop right in front of a tree you calling from to look for you no matter how many trees there are there. Your buddy sat quietly without making any noise and that bird had pinpointed the sound of you moving. I would take the shot if presented, and then go find another bird for your buddy.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TRapper

Postby TRapper » March 27th, 2011, 8:24 am

if then the turkey is following the movement, you could circle back around and get behind your hunter on the other side then call, making the gobbler think you have went back to where he first heard ya, bringing him possibly face to face with the shooter, you are there to call for your buddy, why not take a risk to get him the bird. whenever i am calling for somebody, unless 2 turkeys come in, the other guy is the shooter and only he is allowed to shoot.
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Decision Time