2012 Youth Turkey Camp

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: 2012 Youth Turkey Camp

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 13th, 2012, 6:04 pm

As far as 28ga turkey loads, I'm not aware of any? I would think if she could find an older 1100, with a youth stock with a sims pad on it that would shoot soft enough? Even with a 2-3/4 shell it wouldn't be much more than the 28? She has learned that she has to let a few birds walk because of the short range of her gun (less than 20yds) but she deals with it. At least she is out there giving it her all, and that's what really matters.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 14th, 2012, 9:18 am

Charlie I think you will find most 28 gauges are built on a 20 gauge frame. THere is no weight or size reduction. I would think an 1100 LW with a youth stock would be a good choice. A shooting stick would help too. I use one because if I try to hold a gun up for more than a couple of minutes my hands go numb. For a kid it would help overcome the task of holding up a heavy gun. Just take her along with you. Kids love the time in the woods. They are not as disapointed when you do not get something as when they do not get something. When it comes time to carry a gun they know what to expect.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 16th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Steve_In wrote:you will find most 28 gauges are built on a 20 gauge frame.

Thanks Steve I did not know that.
She and brother have been out with me a lot learning woodcraft. When she goes out she is carrying her camera to take pictures of the birds and things I call in. It is a blast, times I will surely remember with fondness. One time a dozen turkeys came in hens and poults she was so excited, shaking so hard the pictures were very blurry. But no matter she loves them to this day and shows everyone. :lol:
My grandson (9) I do worry about, he does not want to even go to the range and shoot! I have no idea what happened to cause that. He says he does not want to kill anything. :cry:
Oh well if this grandpa is nothing else he is patient, so I will not be forcing the issue just take it baby steps all the while keeping it fun.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 19th, 2012, 10:40 am

IMG_1441 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1441 (640x480).jpg (303.61 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Have faith charlie here is a picture of my son who told me when he was 8 he would NEVER go hunting Again!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 20th, 2012, 9:57 am

charlie elk wrote:Have faith charlie here is a picture of my son who told me when he was 8 he would NEVER go hunting Again!

Hey tell your son he has old charlie's admiration that is one fine bird he is holding there. :D
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I am patient and realize everyone comes to hunting in their own time. My kids were into hunting from the get go then they graduated, went to college, got careers, got married and had my grandchildren. During this time they drifted from hunting due to time constraints and responsibilities; now they are slowly drifting back to hunting.
Vic the turkey dog is my secret weapon with the grandkids, they love to be out with him. Vic loves to circle turkeys and break them up back overhead it is an awe inspiring sight and sound experience tailor made to impress kids.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin