Wildcat Call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gobbler_getter

RE: Wildcat Call

Postby gobbler_getter » January 6th, 2009, 5:34 pm

shaman i like that it is funny and i am glad to see that there is other hunters from d&dh.com on here.[:D]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 7th, 2009, 2:38 am

recognize it
i heard a hen make a purr which went into a meoooow cat like sound it was so cat like if the purr wasnt there i would have thought it to be a cat.....there were two hens but only one was talking, and they were twenty yards in full sight .......now a turkey will make some weird sounds but that wild cat call was at the top of the list....most of the posts refer to gobblers making the call.....but this had a seductive cat sound made by the hen ......i belive any sex turkey can make any turkey call....i have eye wittnessed a hen gobbling....more topic for discussion.....?????

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 7th, 2009, 3:10 am

Only the two times I heard it was when a gob flew up in the tree and again when there were a group of gob's in late fall, can't say they were fighting or just got done though.

The sound I heard was that more of a screeching sound. I think thats what most of you are saying.
Hard for me to identify it since I guess it is very seldom heard or identified.

Thanks for all the great input.

Earl

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 7th, 2009, 3:11 am

Most hunters who hear the wildcat call will not recognize it as a turkey sound.  I don't know for certain, but I would suspect that the first man to give the call its name heard the call shortly before or after seeing a bobcat/lynx/panther and identified the call as being made in response to the predator.  I have only heard the call 4-5 times in a 35 year turkey hunting career and without having listened to Leon's recording I would not have associated it with a turkey.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 7th, 2009, 3:16 am

ORIGINAL: greyghost

Hey Shaman, I tried the link but it did not come up for me.

Kentucky Wildcat

Here's link for the site I got that sound file from.  That wildcat call sounds fierce.  No wonder all my turkey run when I play it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 7th, 2009, 7:19 am

my hearings good...TC .....the purr was only part of it....the meow sound followed it ....just like cluck and purr or kee kee and yelps (run)...  that cat sound was somethingthing i havent heard before .....maybe you should develope a cat call.....kinda like raphlys gobbler konk call ....[;)]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 7th, 2009, 11:56 am

man i guess i ain't keepin' up. this is the first i ever heard of such call.
as i read all the posts , i recalled a very strange and unfamiliar call. it was before the grey light of dawn, in the same place, up in a tree, and one week later ,in the same location i heard it again. i can't discribe it now , ijust remember it happening. i will add this ,,, turkeys love to roost in that holler a lot.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 7th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Hey Earl,

I have head some really strange sounds from turkeys on the roost. Some I would classify as sounding much like a growl.

I've heard wildcats scream in the woods as well. I'm always a bit more "uncomfortable" with that sound than any a turkey can make.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 7th, 2009, 1:23 pm

i too have heard a wildcat scream and what i heard that morning was definately not a cat scream. i can't say it was a turkey or whatever.
i will say , in my experience , i had a brood flock show up in front of me one time at about 15 yards. i didn't want one of them so decided to play with them .   i let  'em move off 'bout 30 yrds and gave out a KEE KEE run, followed quickly with a jake gobble. now those handful of jakes in that bunch all gobbled, and flogged each other PROMPTLY. it wasn't the robust gobble of an older bird ,,,but it was a clear gobble.
i've settled in my own mind that we as turkey hunters will probably never see ALL that turkeys are capable of doing . boy it sure is nice to witness some of their ODDITIES from time to time ain't it?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 7th, 2009, 1:27 pm

It sounds like many of us have had very isolated incidents where we have possibly heard the proverbial "wildcat" call.  From everybody's varied accounts, it is apparent that it is difficult to describe, as was ably demonstrated in my initial poor attempt.  I agree with turkeydoghunter that the sound I heard repeatedly had two parts to it, and I think Clarks description of a growling sound is more accurate than a purring sound.  I thought the other part of the call had some resemblance to an owl, but I also wouldn't discount the idea that it resembled a sound a cat would make. 

I do know for sure that what I heard was being made by gobblers, and that there were at least three, and maybe as many as six or eight, of them making the call.  It started shortly after first light, initially with just one or two of the birds doing it.  As it got closer to flydown, more of the gobblers were doing it and more often, until right before they flew to the ground, which was about thirty yards to my left, and with all of us on a fairly steep hillside.  I do not remember any of them making the call once they hit the ground, although in the excited state that I was in at the time, I could be mistaken about that. 

There were at least three mature gobblers and possibly as many as ten jakes, plus a few hens.  The gobblers and the jakes immediately got into a free-for-all and all of them ended up in a big wad twenty yards straight down the hillside from me, gobbling and purring and kicking and flailing at one another, and pretty much oblivious to my presence there. 

I had my gun up and on the wad, but it was still pretty dark on that hillside under the canopy of all of those giant pine and fir trees that we were amongst.  I only had one tag left in a season that still had more than two weeks to go, so I had no intention of shooting a jake.  Every few seconds a gobbler of some sort would separate himself from the fray just far enough and long enough for me to almost get my gun on him, and almost be able to tell if it was one of the big boys or not.  As I recall, this happened about three times during the melee, and each time I hesitated in pulling the trigger just long enough to let the lucky bird jump back into the middle of the whirlwind of flogging wings, legs, and beaks.  Finally, just as quickly as the whole thing started, the little tornado of gobblers disappeared over a slight rise on the hillside and off they went to parts unknown.  

Just in case you're wondering, I gave them my best renditions of various and sundry turkey noises and employed every "woodswise" tactic I could muster for the next hour or so, but they had vanished as if the entire episode had been nothing more than a wishful figment of my vivid imagination.   

At any rate, as far as the wildcat call goes, I guess they don't do it too much....so I am not going to worry about trying to learn to imitate it for use as a calling tool.  It would just be one more sound not to know how to use at the right time!

Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion