WINCHESTER MODEL 1300 AND CHOKES

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
nhturkey

WINCHESTER MODEL 1300 AND CHOKES

Postby nhturkey » January 6th, 2009, 5:30 am

I have recently acquired a winchester model 1300 with the four original chokes and a 24" barrel. I realize every gun ever made is different, but if anyone has had good success coming up wiat a good choke (either original or aftermarket) and load combination for that model it would at least give me a goodstarting point for experimentation with my gun without tieing up thousands of dollars in choke tubes and differnet shell configurations. THANKS!

texsalerno

RE: WINCHESTER MODEL 1300 AND CHOKES

Postby texsalerno » January 6th, 2009, 8:24 am

I have had my NWTF 1300 for over 10 years. Came with extra-full turkey choke performed fine. I bought a Undertaker screw-in choke(H.S. Strut). Performance is great(best place to check that is patterning board). I used ACTIV nickel plated 5's in 2 3/4" got my best groups and killed turkeys graveyard dead. They are out of business and I ran out of their shells in 2007.Winchester supreme  3" 5's have taken their place in my vest. I also got great performance with Winchester duplex loads  2 x 5's They aren't made anymore either. When I first got the 1300 I tried Activ,Federal, Remington-peters and Winchesters. Overall my 1300 likes Winchester for all my hunting; Coyotes (BB), Fox(4),Crows(8) and turkeys(5) but for deer hunting Remington peters slugs.

I would try several different loads and chokes. Take your time patterning, wouldn't try to do it in one day. Spread it out have some fun doing it. Recoil on that  light shotgun is too tough on the shoulder and you'll start getting false results if keep shooting repeatedly. Also shooting sticks or bipod makes it like bench rest shooting.

Love my 1300 think you will too. I hunt most of the time with a long-bow from a blind, but when it' time to run and gun it's the 1300 that leaves the truck.

Take a kid hunting !!!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 6th, 2009, 1:05 pm

HEY NHTURKEY

Welcome to the forum!

I had a 1300 NWTF like texsalerno and only used the turkey choke that came with the gun.
It worked very well with Super X no.5,Federal no.4,and Remington 4x6 I would say the 4x6
was the load of choice for me.
The Undertaker choke texsalarno mentioned would be a fine choice.
All of the loads I mentioned were in 3'' Mag.
I gave my gun to my grandson when he turned 12yrs. old.

Turkeybuster

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 6th, 2009, 1:10 pm

HI TEXSALERNO

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it.

Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 6th, 2009, 2:35 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum. This is a great place will lots of friendly and helpful folks.

You have a fine turkey gun in your Winchester 1300. They are becoming hard to find and are quite sought after by many shooters and hunters.

I'd recommend that before you pattern your gun, you thoroughly "deep clean" the barrel. Sometimes barrels, regardless of age, have never really had a thorough cleaning and it can make a great deal of difference in performance. If you'll look at http://www.allaboutshooting.com for the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" there are some guidelines that I believe you'll find to be helpful. It's not rocket science but it just works.

With your 24" barrel, I'd recommend that you try the 3" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. That's a proven load, widely available, reasonably priced and has probably been responsible for more turkey kills than any other turkey shotshell on the market today.

Lastly, I'd recommend the SSX Turkey Choke. It has great internal geometry, is rated for all lead and "hard" (tungsten-based) shot and is very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke.

If I can be of help, just let me know and I'll do all that I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

TWOWITHONE

Postby TWOWITHONE » January 10th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Got a Winchester 1300 shoot winchester ext/range # 6 shot out of it and bought 1 of Clarks invector chokes its deadly on the range just aint hooked up with Mr. Gobbler yet.[:)]

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 10th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Hey Brian,

It's good to hear from you again. Best of luck this spring. I hope you shoot a big one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » January 11th, 2009, 8:39 am

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com ... 1300&#2372

Check out the above post.
I had good patterns with the comp-n-choke with winchester 1 3/4 oz 3" no. 6's I want to try and pattern the Winchster 3" 1 3/4 oz #5's
When I first got the gun I bought a undertaker choke from walmart and used winchester 3" 1 3/4 oz #4's and it patterned pretty good at 40 yards.

bubbalp

Postby bubbalp » January 31st, 2009, 3:58 pm

Hi guys, I've had a Win, 1300XTR standard Full choke since 1979 in my highschool days, Federial Flight control #5's & 4's
have been the best I've used and at 47yds I rolled a 19.5 pounder and he never moved. I still keep Win Sup.#4's for woods and short kills. Need give up my Winchester 1300. Been ask to leave a few turkey shoots for winning to many prizes...Good hunting..

Bigmarv

Postby Bigmarv » January 31st, 2009, 5:08 pm

Eddie,
What is the length of your barrel and what is the size of the comp-n-choke?
ORIGINAL: eddie234

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=2372&mpage=1&key=1300&#2372

Check out the above post.
I had good patterns with the comp-n-choke with winchester 1 3/4 oz 3" no. 6's I want to try and pattern the Winchster 3" 1 3/4 oz #5's
When I first got the gun I bought a undertaker choke from walmart and used winchester 3" 1 3/4 oz #4's and it patterned pretty good at 40 yards.
Bigmarv

Next

Return to Shooting