Wildcat Call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
greyghost

Wildcat Call

Postby greyghost » January 6th, 2009, 7:14 am

I know Tom Turpin, Leon Johenning, I believe John Lowther talked some about it in their books. I heard a couple others just in general discussion talk about it.

Any one know or hear more on it, the sound of it how it may be employed in a hunting situation, or if its renamed something else today? We are talking a few years back when you heard more of it.

Thanks for any info.

Earl

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Wildcat Call

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 6th, 2009, 7:18 am

I've never heard anything about it but I'm thinking a few years back might have been before my time. [:D]

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 6th, 2009, 10:30 am

Wisth & others, Johenning (1962) Elliot (1979), and you may find reference to it in Lovett Williams, Voice and Vocabulary of The Wild Turkey (1984)

Just thought I would generate a food for thought and research type post. It is interesting the history of calls, hunting, sounds and interpretation of them throughout the years. 

I will say that if it is what some say we may all have heard it and still do today.

Earl

shaman

Postby shaman » January 6th, 2009, 11:52 am

Are you sure?

Kentucky Wildcats

I tried it on my birds, and they all ran in terror.  What's up?  Are you joshing me, or does this really work?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 6th, 2009, 12:03 pm

No, it is not a actual wildcat call, it is a term some have given it by what they heard a turkey making.  Some refered to it as screeching sounds in a roost tree. (no not owls) They said turkeys were in the tree.

The books referenced and a couple others make short notes of it.

Earl

shaman

Postby shaman » January 6th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Honestly, GG!

You should have tried the link, before you made that post.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 6th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I have heard the term and read about the call....but I have never experienced it....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Haa haa, Shaman,...very funny....everybody is a comedian these days!

Now back to the subject,....yes, Earl, I had heard of the "wildcat" call, and had read the descriptions from books and articles I saw over the years.  There were a couple of times over the years that I heard sounds that I thought were from turkeys that I thought might have fit the vague descriptions, but this last spring I think I actually heard gobblers making the call on the roost.....not just once or twice, but many times from many different gobblers. 

I had sneaked (snuck?) into an area before daylight, high up on a pine and fir covered ridge, that I had heard gobbling from the evening before, and as luck would have it, I ended up right in the middle of a bunch of turkeys on the roost.  As it began to get light, I started hearing this sound, one after another, from several trees around me.  At first I thought it was a couple of owls that were moving from tree to tree, but I had never heard owls sounding just that way before.  Then I began to notice that there was gobbling coming from the same locations in between the owling sounds.  This went on for a good, long while, with the frequency of the call increasing as it neared flydown time for the flock, which consisted of several mature gobblers, a gang of jakes, and a number of hens. 

I remember thinking at the time that this must be the "mythical" wildcat call, and I made a conscious effort to try to listen carefully to the sound, with every intent to try to reproduce it later.  Unfortunately, now months later, the only description of it I can muster is that it was similar, but different, to an owling sound with a sort of purr added into it.  I would immediately recognize it if I heard it again, I think, but that does little good here in this discussion.  Heck, it may not have been the wildcat call at all, but it was definitely gobblers making a noise that I would say fits the descriptions I have seen. 

I will be going back there again this spring, since I know there will be gobblers there...always are.  In fact, there may be the same number that were there that morning....(does that tell you just how my hunt went on that morning?!....but that's a story for another time!).  I hope I will be blessed with another morning just like that one was...lots of gobbling and wildcat calls....and maybe a slightly different outcome.

Jim

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 6th, 2009, 2:56 pm

HI GOHST

I have heard this call only four times in many years of hunting.
It will be made by gobblers only and each time I heard it was just before first light.
I do know that if you are very close to the bird when he hits the ground and you
give him one or two coarse cluks you better have your gun up.
As to what it means in turkey vocabulary I do not know but it sure sounds similar to
a cat scream.
Hopefully someone on the site will have some input on it as it is rare to hear it mentioned.

Turkeybuster

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 6th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Hey Shaman, I tried the link but it did not come up for me.

I can say I heard it a couple of times but was caught off guard by the sound, even one time I knew the gob was in the tree.

I do remeber my grandfather make mention of it when I was young but never gave it much thought or knew if he heard it himself or from other folks.

Most folks think is made by Jakes in an attempt to gobble but comes out in a more screeching type pitch. Not to be confused with the Distress Scream.

Dr. Lovett Williams who has done more reasearch into the turkey vocabulary and recorded sounds in moderen time says about the same as that being an attempt of a young gobbler to gobble.

Earl

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion