Ferrel Hogs...what to do about them ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
SamuraiTater

Ferrel Hogs...what to do about them ?

Postby SamuraiTater » January 5th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I know the area I like to hunt has a pretty good population of wild boar.  I'm not intersted in hunting them (though it is legal to take them on South Carolina WMA during any other game season), I just need a good deterent for them.  I've had both knees rebuilt and I'm too old to run anyway.  ......And I never could climb a tree.  I'm not as worried during the spring gobbler season, as I'd be totin' a shotgun and I can load a coulple of rounds of buckshot in the tube in case the #5's don't deter him.  But I can't take my shotgun with me scouting turkey's in February or March.

I've got a .357, but I don't have a concealed weapons permit, so I'd be looking at a healthy fine if a game warden caught me with it.  What other options can any of you think of ?  Would bear mace deter a hog ?

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Ferrel Hogs...what to do about them ?

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 5th, 2009, 6:46 pm

So you can't carry a gun for hogs unless a game animal is in season?

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 5th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Why  would you need a concealed carry permit if the gun is not concealed?  I think your problem is most likely a state WMA regulations which prohibit the carrying of certain guns at certain times.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 6th, 2009, 1:59 am

Most hogs I have fooled with will run as soon as they see are smell you...you just don't want to corner one or get in among the little ones...having fooled with em in the past...I do understand your concern...they can get nasty....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

shaman

Postby shaman » January 6th, 2009, 2:25 am

ORIGINAL: SamuraiTater

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I know the area I like to hunt has a pretty good population of wild boar.  I'm not intersted in hunting them (though it is legal to take them on South Carolina WMA during any other game season), I just need a good deterent for them.  I've had both knees rebuilt and I'm too old to run anyway.  ......And I never could climb a tree.  I'm not as worried during the spring gobbler season, as I'd be totin' a shotgun and I can load a coulple of rounds of buckshot in the tube in case the #5's don't deter him.  But I can't take my shotgun with me scouting turkey's in February or March.

I've got a .357, but I don't have a concealed weapons permit, so I'd be looking at a healthy fine if a game warden caught me with it.  What other options can any of you think of ?  Would bear mace deter a hog ?

Double-check with you the local game warden.  I do not know SC's laws, but I'm just going on what I know about  some other states:

1)  You probably do not need a conceal-carry permit as long as the weapon is not concealed.  In Ohio and KY, I can backpack most places I go with heat as long as it's carried outside the outermost layer of clothing.  I have a holster on my pack strap.

2)  Double-Check the law regarding what shot sizes can be carried. You can be breaking a law by carrying buck.  You would be in every state I've hunted turkey so far. 

3) The best deterrent I know of for hog is not taking a shower. If they can smell you they're probably outta there.  The second best is to make yourself large and loud and threatening.  I run into them occasionally in the Big South Fork  on the KY/TN borner-- I see sign, but no hog. Hog gone. Hog long gone.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » January 6th, 2009, 4:07 am

I read all through the DNR regulations and even the text of some of the actual laws on the books last year.  Unless they've changed it for 2009, it's illegal to hunt wild turkey with buckshot, but......it is not illegal to carry buckshot loaded in your weapon or on your person on SC WMA.  Wild boar is legal 365 day per year on private land and legal to take from WMA during any other game season.....however, on WMA you are restricted to carrying the type weapons that are specified for the game that's in season.

I have spoken to a couple of game wardens concerning this issue and the response I get is that if I walk onto a WMA outside of deer season with a .357 on me, the assumption would likely be made that I'm there to poach deer.   ....Both of them told me that if they encountered my situation, they'ed write the ticket with no reservation.

....But they both acknowledged that it is legal for anyone to carry an unconcealed handgun to and from a hunting or fishing site. (But that works for me only in season.)  They both also stated that if I had a concealed weapons permit, then I have the right to carry said .357 anywhere on WMA anytime I please.

I probably should just get the CWP, but at this point I'm running out of time.  .....Which brings me back to a possible standby solution, do any of you think an aggressive hog would be detered by bear mace ?

shaman

Postby shaman » January 6th, 2009, 7:20 am

Just with my limited knowledge of hogs, I'd say you'd just make them mad with bear mace and you might get et.  If you're that close to a hog, you're already in trouble. 

I checked the SC DNR site:

Legal weapons - shotguns, muzzleloading shotguns, bows and crossbows. All other weapons or methods are prohibited including rifles, pistols, buckshot (50-11-500, Reg. 123-51).

I see buckshot as a prohibited method. 

What I didn't see was what shot sized are legal for turkey.  In KY, you have to be careful-- #4 is legal. #2 is not.   In Ohio,  #2 is legal, but nothing under #6 is.  SC might have that sort of restriction; I don't know .  I'd dig into what is said in 50-11-500, Reg. 123-51 and also read a few pages to either side.

You could  make the case in KY and Ohio that some of the Nitro loads are not legal-- in some, there is up to size #2 shot and down to size #9 .  I haven't heard that the state is going to get on you for Nitro loads, but then it took a couple of years for KY to state openly that they would prosecute guys for bringing remote-control decoys into the field. One thing I know they don't like in KY are the Remington Duplex 2X6 loads.

If there is a state-specific hunting forum in South Carolina, you might want to find it and check in with them.  I hunt mostly Kentucky, and KYHunting.net, sponsored by WingSupply.com, is an invaluable resource. There are enough CO's on the site that you can usually get a  bonefied answer to just about anything from the guy that would be writing your up, or at least his buddy. What I like is the ability to discuss not only what is and isn't legal, but also what "best practice" is-- such as how to avoid the gray areas that might get you written up, even though you could probably beat it in court.

For instance: I had a question about my son's youth license. He turned 16 this year just after Turkey Season ended.  Did he need to buy a youth license, a youth turkey tag and an adult turkey tag for fall hunting.  The law was vague. The answer was no: the youth tag was good until it expired. However, he had to buy an adult deer tag.  It was also explained that when my youngest turns 16 in a few Aprils from now, it's okay to buy him youth licences and tags even though he turns 16 during the season.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 6th, 2009, 9:29 am

hunt em when there in season......and eat em from the rootie to the tootie.......[:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 6th, 2009, 12:04 pm

in ohio , we have SOMETHING in season every day of the year. therefore it's legal to carry a rifle or handgun on public and private property, with the exception being form some date in october through jan 1 on public hunting areas. my question is , aren't coyotes legal year round in your state? or are there times of the year when there is nothing in season?
HOGS! i spent a few years working with domestic swine and know full well what they are capable of doing. for example , when pushed to a certain point , i've seen 350-400 pounders jump almost in deer fashion. they are meat eaters too.something to consider. friend of mine hunts in WISCONSIN. on his way from deer stand to camp the local wildlife officer came by and had a chat . asked Dave if he was carrying a sidearm . dave said ''well no , it isn't legal'',,,lawman said '' i'd rather be judged by 12 , than carried by 6''

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 6th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Was he worried about hogs in Wisconsin or something else?

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion