Roosting Turkeys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
swpatrkyhunter

Re: Roosting Turkeys

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 10th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Good stuff! Knowing the landscape is very important when getting close to roosted birds. They pick trees that give them a good veiw of the surrounding area and can spot anything that heads their way. So knowing where to avoid detection is important. Topo maps can show you alot about the terrain.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

DBraman

Postby DBraman » April 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm

I sometimes use a coyote howler in South Texas because it seems to work better then owl hooters in this part of the world. But, I rarely if ever roost birds, I scout so much that I know the general area that the birds roost. I worry more about what direction the birds like to go after fly down then where they are roosted.
Mellon Creek Outfitters
www.melloncreekoutfitters.com

lxtagle

Postby lxtagle » April 16th, 2012, 9:02 pm

I hunt a lot of pressured public land. I am very familiar with the grounds, but prefer to glass from a distance as to not spook them more than what they are. On super large public grounds, where pressure is limited due to the hunting challenge, can't go wrong with the owl locator call. Good luck!
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

Previous

Return to Strategies