archery only season or area

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
arrowsonly

archery only season or area

Postby arrowsonly » January 5th, 2009, 4:59 am

I hunt for turkeys with a bow, it's the only way I can hunt for them. I love the sitting back in the blind and doing nothing for several hours. I work 70 hrs per week during the spring & summer season so down time is needed...
I started going to MN several years ago to take advantage of over the counter surplus tags and public land a plenty. I stumbled upon a archery only WMA, 300 acres for bow hunters only...
I have hunted this way since 96' long before double bull blinds,I built my own from camo dome tents.
Even while hunting in MN, I was "stalked" hunters with guns belly crawling into my set up. Its part of the game, I live with that. I don't fell that we deserve any special treatment, just the oppertunity to hunt safely on public lands. I use a safety flag on top of my blinds, just to help find them sometimes they blend in very well that is part of the problem.
These two boys never saw me till they stood up 50 yards away & shot at a flying gobbler like it was a phesant. 

I am trying to get a archery only area or season in WI, I know we have plenty of everything needed to make it happen. The 2nd or 3rd highest turkey population in the country, more bow hunters per capita than most states, and how many acres of public land...

Anyone have any ideas or input that could be helpful?  
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

JPH

RE: archery only season or area

Postby JPH » January 5th, 2009, 5:07 am

Hope this helps:

Iowa does not have an archery only season but they do offer some benifit to the archery hunter.

There are 4 gun seasons, each growing progressively longer than the last. A resident hunter may buy 2 tags, but at least one of them must be for the 4th and final season.

If a hunter chooses to hunt archery only, their tag covers all 4 seasons, start to finish. In fact, the two tag combo can be 1 archery only tag and 1 4th season gun tag.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 5th, 2009, 5:41 am

Being a prior traditional bowhunter myself (made my own self bows, arrows, etc) I know how nice it is to have archery only areas.

The only thing that comes to mind is get the local and State bowhunting organizations together and present something to the States Wildlife agency, along with a connection to your State Senator or represenative. It is a lot of work and tough but I have seen some results in VA and a couple other States I heard of that have archery only WMA's.

Earl

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 5th, 2009, 5:46 am

The only states that I know of that have a seperate archery season are KS & NE. They both run their bow seasons before the gun season. KS has about a week before and NE 3 weeks.

I myself do not think it is needed. I hunt public land, in Wis as a matter of fact, and just don't feel in danger. I hunt defensively. From what I have read more turkey hunting incidents (some call them accidents) occur on private land.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 5th, 2009, 6:20 am

Bow hunters in Wisconsin don't need special treatment.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » January 9th, 2009, 3:57 am

Not asking for special treatment, do you bow hunt during the deer gun season ?
I don't think you do, there is also a large group of other people who hunt the same way or would try if the opportunity was there.
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion