HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

RE: HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ?

Postby grizzly » January 5th, 2009, 4:18 am

this is a thing i've learned deer hunting.i do'nt like tree stands so a few years ag i bought one of those seats that strap on to atree it has a swivel seat on it so i can turn my body a little both ways i  hitch about as high as a chair then i take a camo cloth and throw it over my legs instant bush i can move my legs around a little bit with out being seen found out it works great on turkeys to.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 5th, 2009, 4:48 am

ORIGINAL: Morgan
...and like Grunt Doc...I got to flex what little muscle I have left....that does help a bunch...

This raises another good point. Core strength has a lot to do with how long one can remain in place.

I train my core pretty hard, but for some reason that is an area that will atrophy quickly (might have something to do with middle-age). I late my workout schedule fall off when deer or turkey season is going strong, but I  need to remember to do my little mini-core routine every day.

It takes 5 minutes and requires no equipment, if anyone is intreasted.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 5th, 2009, 6:21 am

Sitting in a blind is a piece of cake, all you need is the patience to stay in one spot. You can adjust, eat, drink, even read if you want. I get to turkey hunt a lot and I will set up a blind now & then just to take a break from the stress of trying to sit still.

Sitting still is another thing IMO. Different than just sitting in one spot. When I get to a set-up that I plan on staying a while, I will take the 1st 5 min and be sure nothing is jabbing or poking me. The slightest thing can be very uncomfortable after a while. I'll also clear out a small area by my legs so I can move or adjust them a little without making noise.

I have one of those short stools that I use. I can sit on it flat or about 5 inches off the ground. That helps, especially in tick country.[:D] For skeeters a Thermacell works good, but you still need spray.

On sloped ground I will sit with my legs downhill or at least parallel to the slope. No way I can last long with my feet uphill.

One good thing to do before you sit down, is to take some yardage ranges on things around you. Its harder to judge range the closer you are to the ground.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 5th, 2009, 6:25 am

I rarely use a pad or anything. If I can hear turkeys or see turkeys I can sit as long as they are there but if I'm not seeing anything I get bored and go try and find one. I'd say 1 hour is about how long I'll sit without seeing or hearing anything.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 5th, 2009, 7:54 am

Squeeze your butt cheeks.
[quote]ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

If I do that with my pants on, the result is rather unsatisfactory.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 7th, 2009, 10:00 am

I use an EveRest Recliner  www.GCIOutdoor.com and hunt from low pre-constructed brush blinds we have built all over the property.  They are not real good for slipping through heavy woods, but if you have a place you can set it up ahead of time, you can sit comfortably for hours.

Sitting still usually takes some practice.  I like to go do some calling in the State Park before the season to  get my mind & calling right before go time.

JIm
Luck Counts, good or bad

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 7th, 2009, 3:40 pm

As long as I have to. I bought me the Red Head version of the Turkey Lounger after my accident and I can sit for hours in it. I killed a gobbler spring before last after 5 1/2 hours.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 7th, 2009, 3:52 pm

2hrs. is probably my record.

tbuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2009, 9:23 am

HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ? my wife asks me that everytime i get in front of the computer to talk turkey.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion