When to Draw on a tom

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
sampsta

When to Draw on a tom

Postby sampsta » April 9th, 2012, 11:07 am

Ive been deer hunting for years and just got into turkey last year. I typically use the bow because the land i hunt is semi near houses. ( dont want to piss too many people off )Obviously i draw on a deer when he putting his dead down or looking the other way.

i will be in a blind this year and wanted to know when is the best time to draw on a tom. I know they have strong eyesight so i dont want to blow it.

thoughts ??

thanks

Todd

bamabirdbuster13

Re: When to Draw on a tom

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 9th, 2012, 5:49 pm

when he takes his attention off your direction. when in a blind you can get away with "alot". i fell asleep in a blind one day and a gobbler scared me awake and i fell out my chair with him at 20 yards.he didnt know what it was so he ran away from the decoy he had mounted and stood there i shot up and smoked him. so when i say alot i mean ive got away with alot.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

sampsta

Postby sampsta » April 10th, 2012, 5:52 am

haha thats great. good information. I will be shooting from a blind this year while using a bow. Unfortunately the majority of the areas i hunt are not really suitable for a gun.

lxtagle

Postby lxtagle » April 18th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Can't believe I missed this thread. Indeed you can get away with a lot in a blind. I've been hunting for many a years, and for the first time I used a blind in KS. WOW! Before that, what I did was sit around a "busy" spot - leaves, branches, etc., but not to the point where with your draw will be a problem. I also tape fake leaves & branches (cheap at a goodwill) on my bow to match the foilage/setting around me. With a leafy suit, I was rarely detected. I tell you what.., it's a rush!!!! I've drawn on them at inside 10 yards. Keep the draw weight at a level where you WILL have the smoothest draw possible. Wait until he is not directly facing you & let her fly when ready. Good luck and safe hunting!

p.s. When you hear a lot of "experts" tell you practice well out of your blind, DO IT. It's a different feel if you've never bowhunted out of a blind.
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

sampsta

Postby sampsta » April 26th, 2012, 6:56 am

Thanks for the info, I practive just about every day anyways i enjoy it..stress relief... But im typically in the blind out of the blind..sitting...kneeling....Season opens next week so hopefully i will be able to put one on the ground. Ill setup my blind the night before.....but i do need to get some broadheads. i only have 1 left from last season...

best of luck!!

Return to Shooting