Loud Calling/ Small Parcels

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeydoghunter

RE: Loud Calling/ Small Parcels

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 4th, 2009, 12:24 pm

i believe loud calling shocks a gob into gobbling........not that i dont call loud ....but i feel more confident when they answer my soft calls .....also ponder this is the gobbler answering you or are you answering him.....a good friend of mine asked me that question.....if you read between the lines, you might call in more birds esp. gobbys[:D]....just my 2 cents

shaman

Postby shaman » January 4th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Thanks guys.  Judging from what y'all are telling me, I can assume that a)  my understanding of the line between aggressive calling and obnoxious calling is correct  b) that these guys were just being a bunch of ignorant rude toads.  That fits with everything else I found out about them. They poached, they stole, they lied to the neighbors and to me-- just the sort of folks you'd expect to be calling like this.

Turkeydoghunter:  That's a very good distinction.   As a guy who used to write screenplays, dialog is one of my specialties.  I think those dynamics transcend species. Having an ear for dialog really helps a caller.

In that interaction with the gobbler, The Son of Natural, the outcome of at least generating a shooting opportunity was pretty much in the bag. The hens liked to dust and loaf in the barn in the afternoons.  Son of Natural, as his predecessors had done before, liked to come out and strut in front of the barn.  All I had to do was let him know that the hens had arrived; I knew he'd be on his way over.  It was a scene I'd played out with this guy's predecessor many time in the past.  What had bollocks things up  with Mister Natural back in 2003, was that I'd muffed the shot  because I'd gotten too weak to hold the shotgun steady.  From that point on, I had a wary gobbler that went to great lengths to thwart me, while still trying to get to his strut zone in the afternoon. It turned into a chess game and I not only ended up losing the game, but I almost landed in the hospital.  Lesson: chasing great white whales  ain't what it's cracked up to be.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

JPH

Postby JPH » January 4th, 2009, 4:42 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

OK,I'm trying to pick your brains here. Is that a wrong assumption?  Rather than give and take, is it reasonable or even preferrable to just keep grinding away at a call?  I just had never heard that before.

My other question:  is there any etiquette to this?  If  I am hunting in a state park and hear a guy grinding a call at ridiculously high volume for an hour or two on end is that obnoxious behavior?  If I am on 35 acres and my neighbor likes to sit on my property line and grind like that, is that being inconsiderate?

Sorry I am late in replying as it seems as if you are pretty well satisfied with the answers you have received.

I do not doubt they are good answers, but they are not the answers I would have given.

First of all, I do believe that there is a time and place to grind away. The times when this has worked most often for me is when they just won't respond to soft and sweet. The reasons are varied; high wind, henned up, spooked, whatever. Anyway, I have turned the tide more than once by putting the volume on 11 and hitting "repeat".

Secondly, the whole question of calling etiquette is a little like the one of deer hunters hanging stands near the fence. My personal opinion is that what a hunter does legally, on land he has rights to hunt is totally up to him. I only have a limited amount of land to hunt, and I am going to hunt it hard. Sorry.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 4th, 2009, 5:37 pm

You can at times use their calling to your advantage....I have the same problem in an area....they hammer em hard with mouth calls....the birds will gobble...but I think they are somewhat reluctant to go to em....if it don't sound natural to me....I know the gobblers are wondering....anyway...I will slip in..setup and use my box...and ya'll know that box can get loud.... most times the fence sitters hear my gun shoot...very few folks down here use a box or trumpet anymore....main thing is I try to sound like a turkey....the other guys are just making turkey calls...over and over again....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 5th, 2009, 2:51 pm

hey MORGAN,
like the way you put to words ''sound like a turkey''  vs. '' making turkey calls''

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion