HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ?

Postby mark hay » January 4th, 2009, 1:30 pm

anybody have any tricks for being able to sit for long periods against a tree. and how long is long?

YEKRUT

RE: HOW LONG CAN YOU SIT THERE ?

Postby YEKRUT » January 4th, 2009, 1:48 pm

I have sat in the same spot for most of the day before. I have a much easier time sitting still in a box blind in the rain or a ground blind when it is raining than just against a tree on a pretty day. I like to catch a nap, read a book, try out different calls, work on them, sand them, chalk them, etc. when in a ground blind or a box blind. Whn I sit against a tree I might just catch a nap or just relax. Hunting is my time alone and a time I can reflect on the dyas behind and ahead. I am impatient, very impatient as a matter of fact, but when it comes to turkey hunting and knowing that if I stay put it might pay off I can be patient.

I do have a hard time sitting against a tree for long periods of time and move around and fidgit more than I should after I have been there for more than an hour, but somehow I get it donw from time to time.

I like to stay put for an hour after I have called just to make sure that a gob is not sneaking in on me. Sometimes that is VERY hard to do.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 4th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Hey Mark,

The only way that I have of sitting in the same place for extended periods of time is to make the area as comfortable as possible before I sit. If I'm not really setting-up on a bird but just planning to call for a while, I'll really scoop out a place and maybe move a couple, or more, times around a tree to find the best place.

I've tried all kinds of pads, stools and various kinds of seats. I finally settled on a foam pad that keeps me dry and actually holds heat and keeps me a bit warmer.

Lastly, I will move occasionally after giving the area all around a good look. I'll readjust my legs or reposition just a bit. I do that slowly, with no sudden or "jerky" moves that might attract undue attention. I may also take a nap.

Using these methods, I can stay at a site for several hours, if necessary.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 5th, 2009, 1:27 am

I have sat on cushions, stools, and a rubber inflated tube. Although I like my stool and a cushion my wife made for it, I have now gone back to an inner tube I bought and the wife made me a semi water proof cover with strap for it.

Also I have a 1" thick 12" x 12" foam pad to put inside my shirt on my back when I sit against a tree, when I remember to take it.

If working a bird or know one is out there within working distance I will stay for however long or torturious it may be. But to remain still I would say I am good for an hour. I will make slight adjustments about every hour or as my body says adjust. I am not one to let a whole lot of grass grow under me so depending on where I am hunting I will start prospecting till I get to another area or strut zone to set again.

Earl

JPH

Postby JPH » January 5th, 2009, 1:58 am

I carry a self-supporting, fold out canoe seat that has worked wonders for my ability to sit.

Beyond that, I have no tricks. As I have made clear, I tend to be aggressive. I believe that the biggest factor in success is the calling set-up. So I use a lot of them until I find one that works.

But there is definitely a time to keep an anchor tied to your waist. I have bumped too many birds to deny that. Beyond the seat, I find it is a matter of reason and willpower. I know that is not profound but it does work.

I simply remind myself, "there were birds roosted all around you an hour ago. They are still out there so stay put!" After that it is mind over matter and becomes my own mental game.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 5th, 2009, 2:49 am

Tighten and relax your muscles every once in a while.  There will be no visible movement, but your muscles will get some bloodfow pushed around.  Squeeze your butt cheeks.  I'm serious!  I know that If I'll going to be planted someplace for a while, I do my best to sit with my legs flat.  If I try to rest my gun on my knee, the leg will go numb after an hour or 2.  I just get a stick with a Y in it and use that as a prop.  If I get caught in a sudden approach, I just wedge in and suck it up. 

shaman

Postby shaman » January 5th, 2009, 3:20 am

I carry two foam butt pads.  Each one is just a few ounces.  One goes under my butt, the other goes against the tree.  In a few spots, the set-ups at the various honey holes, I pre-position a camo boat cushion. 

I'm 50. The last few years it seems that sitting for long periods of time gets easier and easier.  As long as I'm not to hot or too cold or I'm not getting et by the skeeters I can usually last for whatever it takes.

Light naps help.  I frequently find myself getting dozy in late morning.  There is nothing like being awakened from your nap by hens pecking around you.

From my 2005weblogentry  :

Friday morning after I blew the shot on a Jake , I came back up on top of Gobbler's Knob. There were some cedar limbs that had blown down and I made a makeshift blind with them next to a rock pile. Silent Bob and another gobbler started honoring my calls around 0900. They were on opposite sides of the ridge, and slowly making their way towards me. I figured it would be at least an hour before I saw them, so I hunkered down and had a rest while I watched the sun come up over the next ridge. Suddenly, I awoke to a noise, and I swiveled my eyes up. There was a hen up on top of the rock pile staring down at me from less than 3 feet away. I was caught completely off guard. I had no call, I couldn't move. She clucked at me rather plaintively.

At a loss for anything else to do, I marshaled my best Jack Nicholson imitation and in a normal speaking tone replied "Well, Cluck!" I guess she was disarmed be the sarcasm, because she bought it. She and a nearby girlfriend went back to feeding. I would seem them occasionally over the next 20 minutes, clucking and purring in the high grass. Finally, the hens came around to the front of my blind and found my big fat size-14 hunting boots. They freaked out and got airborne within inches of my feet. Whump! Whump! Whump! Whump! I got the backwash in my face. It was like a pair of pregnant 747's trying to get into the air. One let go with a turd  that landed a few inches away from my toes.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

linda hay

Postby linda hay » January 5th, 2009, 3:40 am

do you mean sit or sleep?? and what about the sandwiches and granola bars that you stuffed in your poctets? yeah! when you take the whole kitchen with you i guess you could sit all day. hah hah!!
                                                          turkey fryer

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 5th, 2009, 3:55 am

I have a small inner tube...that helps a bunch...and a small pillow in my vest for my back...I have to get in a place I can see for the long sits...and like Grunt Doc...I got to flex what little muscle I have left....that does help a bunch...
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » January 5th, 2009, 4:08 am

10 to 12 hours! I can hunt from dawn to dusk in MN, so from 4am to 8pm some nights in mid May...
But like one of the other posters, I use a double bull ground blind & a folding chair. In the past I have carried in portable heaters,stove, coffee pot, lots of food. Yes heat, In WI 25/30* or less is not uncommon and when you are not moving you get cold fast. I hunt with bow & arrow only so my hunting style is different than most. I set up at least 2 blinds in strut zones or in the middle of large fields. The only time I leave the blind is for nature calls...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion