Loud Calling/ Small Parcels

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

Loud Calling/ Small Parcels

Postby shaman » January 4th, 2009, 4:02 am

A bunch of stuff I read from this forum  came together and woke up in my head an issue left over from last Spring.  I thought I would throw it out to y'all.  First off, let me give you the set-up.  I hunt my own 200 acre farm in the Trans-Bluegrass Region of Kentucky.  It is just my boys and myself.  I usually try and spend a week straight hunting, usually the first.  The boys join me on the weekends. 

Last year was a hard year to hunt. It was colder than normal, windier than normal, and overall the gobblers did not get fired up until the last weekend of season.  My week was at the beginning of season. I was hard pressed to make gobblers take notice of me.  All through the first week of season, however, I was oppressed with one party of hunters making raucous calling from near my property line. Whenever I got over that way, they were hitting their glass friction call like all the turkeys were deaf.  It was horrible calling as well.

Finally, midweek, these zekes strayed over onto my property and shot at some of my turkeys with unplugged shotguns (2 strings of 4 shots each).  I was close by, and went over and found their gear-- they'd dropped everything and run off.  I called the state police and they nailed them, but that is not the part of the story I wanted to tell.

What really got me to thinking was this awful loud incessant calling. It was horrendously loud. It was carrying well onto the middle of my 200 acres.  It was just ugly raspy noise.  This is not to say that I did not do some loud calling that week in order to deal with the wind.  When I finally did connect with a gob, I brought him in from 300 yards out.   I knew where he was. I knew where he was going to strut and I got there well ahead and threw out some yelps with my box call and got him hurried along.  What I'm talking about is this overwhelming wall of noise we had all week until the state police hauled these guys away.

What is up with that?  First off, is that really a real technique?  Do folks regularly go out in the woods and yelp and cackle non stop for hours at a time in hopes that a gobbler will walk in? Do you any of you practice this?  Do any of you run into this?  I lead somewhat of a sheltered life as turkey hunter.  I have some ridge and a little bottom land I share with the neighbors.  Normally when I hear another hunter calling it is at the edge of my ability to hear.  Turkeys were answering these loud calls, but they were not coming in.

Secondly, most turkey calling I've heard is attempting to be a 2-sided conversation.  You call, you listen.  This sounded like one of those recordings you hear in an Airport: "The white zone is for loading and unloading only. The white zone. . ."   Is that a technique?  Does it work?

Lastly, I just wanted to put in a plea for reasonable polite calling.  These goofs, even before they strayed onto my property, were hosing up acres and acres of my woods.  The smaller parcels that bordered me were probably also completely swamped with this wall of sound.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to run into these guys on a crowded WMA. I don't know if this makes me old school, new school, or just an old fud of a landowner, but I thought I would throw this out and let y'all jaw on it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

greyghost

RE: Loud Calling/ Small Parcels

Postby greyghost » January 4th, 2009, 4:48 am

Shaman, very well versed. I wish I could articulate and even spell correctly, maybe I would not be misunderstood so much.[&o][;)]

Congrats on nailing the poachers.

So far as calling loud and continuesly, what you saw and heard first hand is pretty much the same I have seen.

All types of calling work given the correct time and place. What that is I try to figure that out as I go along on the hunt. Like you said you did some loud calling yourself to deal with the wind. I know I get a little louder on windy days.

What type of calling were you doing when the gob was contacted and then committed to finding you? Sounds like you won there weather you blasted him or not. Although that would be great a dead bird.

So far as turkey answering calls and not coming in , my 2 cents is that of course we are trying to reverse nature by having the gobs come to us. That is a tuffy in its self. Also a lot of gobs will not gobble they may only spit and drum coming into a call or just come in checking things out first not uttering a word. Another penny thought is that continued calling loud or soft the gob may be thinking hey she is sounding off hot and heavy so she will be coming to me. Leaf scratching (as in anothe post) has worked for me. Another way I guess to look at it is do you want your wife or girl friend or whoever to be yelling at you for a little fun time, well maybe some folks do but I would lean towards the more seductive  sounds or the oh no she got quiet, maybe she found something better, I better get in there. Now how loud is that I usally try to again the old saying of taking the birds temp and see or listen to his reaction.

It is sometimes good to mix your calls up, just again see what the bird likes.

What you are asking and doing is nothing more then just being a turkey hunter. No schools involved except school of hard knocks while trying to turkey hunt.

Another topic this may lead to is Call Shy Birds. I will not start that one since I have sniper crosshairs on me right now.[:D]

I am sure a lot more folks could give you better insight for your situation.

Sorry I could not help much if any but it sounds like you allready are figuring something out on your own. Best to ya and your boys this spring.

Earl

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 4th, 2009, 5:13 am

As you related in your story, there are times for loud calling but the incessant, abnormally loud calling, not in my hunting repitoire. Sounds like these guys got what they deserved for their unethical behavior. Maybe this spring will be better on your place. Good luck. It ain't long.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

JPH

Postby JPH » January 4th, 2009, 5:14 am

[color="#000000"]NOTE: The following post will be bracketed with a big ole IMO and a couple of these [:D][;)][:)], just top ward off trouble![/color]

Well one thing I know is hunting small parcels. I would pass out if I had 200 acres to roam on! The property I own is 35 and good neighbors allow me to hunt another 100 or so next to me. I also hunt several other 60-100 acre parcels. Fortunately they are good parcels that hold birds.

Contrary to popular belief (greygohst [;)]) I have tried it both ways. I was raised to sit in one place and call very little. Over time I entered an "elitist" phase where I had to kill a spring gobbler, on the ground, with a bow, without a blind, because I had decided that gun hunting was "too easy". Thank God I got over myself and moved on, but I did learn a few things along the way.

I had the chance to watch a lot of turkeys without even the slightest hope of killing one. One of the things I learned was that turkeys often call loudly, and with poor technique. Many of the birds I have encountered would be laughed out of a calling competition. I also had the chance to watch turkeys react to my calls and learned that while they may not always approach calling, they are not fearful of it.

Today, my hunting style is very pragmatic. I do what I think will work on a given day, that simple. It is my opinion that loud calling will very often kill birds. I think that the problem many hunters have in getting this to work, is that they do not stick with it long enough. Have you ever seen a fish finally strike a lure after the fifth cast into the same hole? It is like they just cannot help it any longer. I've seen gobblers come to loud calling even when they did not really want to. It just tickles something in their little brain.

Does it always pay off? Of course not! Nothing in hunting is 100% (not even decoys [:D]). This past season (due to lousy weather) I had to hold back and sit still longer. But I do not think that the days I let loose on little parcels hurt things a bit.

Poachers are a different issue altogether and my guess that the birds were moving away from movement rather than calling.

IMO [:D][;)][:)]!

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 4th, 2009, 5:34 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

NOTE: The following post will be bracketed with a big ole IMO and a couple of these [:D][;)][:)], just top ward off trouble!

I think you just found your signature:

JPH's post has been brought to you today by the letters I, M, and O...and by the smileys [:D], [:)], and [;)].

JPH

Postby JPH » January 4th, 2009, 5:43 am

Done.
JPH's post has been brought to you today by the letters I, M, and O.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 4th, 2009, 6:37 am

First off, is that really a real technique?
[quote]ORIGINAL: shaman

I find that most hunters are too proud of their own calling.  They want someone to hear it.  They want to raise a gobble with their calling because it makes them feel successful.  I will occasionally make the first move with a caller, but I usually take a different tack.

Most often I will just sit and think; sometimes I just sit.  I am awaiting the sound of a gobble.  If I hear a gobble I will perform what maneuvers I feel are necessary to get into a good calling position.  I will then await his next gobble, to which I will answer him.  If he continues to gobble, I will continue to answer, just loud enough for him to hear.  Upon hearing a touch of gusto in a gobble, I will put up my caller and get ready to shoot.  Under the above circumstances, he will usually make his appearance.

Loud calling can and will cause a gobbler to approach your calling, but one call too many is always one call too many.  I find it better to soft-sell a gobbler rather than to throw everything at him but the kitchen sink.  They do have the propensity to learn and I have no desire to teach them.

And I think the above is more important on the small tracts than in the big woods.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 4th, 2009, 7:14 am

What kind of calling was I doing when I bagged that gobbler? I worked up from some low yelps with no success.  I knew he was out there, I just didn't know where.  What got him to gobble was  I hit him with a few short runs of excited yelping with a couple of cutts thrown in.  Then I shut up. He answered.

The Son of Natural

That link has  more of the whole story.

Yeah, it was loud, but it was not incessant. I also figure that any bird within earshot was entreated to join in a conversation.  When the GPS goes off in my friend's car, I'm not moved to answer when it says. "Turn right now. Turn Right now.  Turn right now. . ."    I figure gobblers are similarly wired. They want to talk with a honey. It's a give and take.

OK,I'm trying to pick your brains here. Is that a wrong assumption?  Rather than give and take, is it reasonable or even preferrable to just keep grinding away at a call?  I just had never heard that before.

My other question:  is there any etiquette to this?  If  I am hunting in a state park and hear a guy grinding a call at ridiculously high volume for an hour or two on end is that obnoxious behavior?  If I am on 35 acres and my neighbor likes to sit on my property line and grind like that, is that being inconsiderate?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

deja vu

Postby deja vu » January 4th, 2009, 8:45 am

I`ll enter my own oppinion in response to your questions. Just my 2 cents..... please don`t anybody take offense now.....

Rather than give and take, is it reasonable or even preferrable to just keep grinding away at a call? 

I say no.... it just dosen`t sound like natural turkey behavior, at least not in the areas I have ever hunted.

My other question:  is there any etiquette to this?  If  I am hunting in a state park and hear a guy grinding a call at ridiculously high volume for an hour or two on end is that obnoxious behavior?

I would think it was more ignorance than any form of behavior. If he knows others may be in the area, (public land) it is very poor etiquette 

If I am on 35 acres and my neighbor likes to sit on my property line and grind like that, is that being inconsiderate?

If he knows you hunt, it sure is.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 4th, 2009, 9:38 am

ORIGINAL: deja vu

I`ll enter my own oppinion in response to your questions. Just my 2 cents..... please don`t anybody take offense now.....

Rather than give and take, is it reasonable or even preferrable to just keep grinding away at a call? 

I say no.... it just dosen`t sound like natural turkey behavior, at least not in the areas I have ever hunted.

My other question:  is there any etiquette to this?  If  I am hunting in a state park and hear a guy grinding a call at ridiculously high volume for an hour or two on end is that obnoxious behavior?

I would think it was more ignorance than any form of behavior. If he knows others may be in the area, (public land) it is very poor etiquette 

If I am on 35 acres and my neighbor likes to sit on my property line and grind like that, is that being inconsiderate?

If he knows you hunt, it sure is.

Shaman, That is the way I would have called also. Sounds like you did everything right and got the bird. Congrats!

Ditto, on deja vu's relpy.

Earl

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion