Turkey gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
xcal1ber

Turkey gun

Postby xcal1ber » April 5th, 2012, 2:06 am

Well I got a good ole shotgun but me being a guy and all, everyone knows we have to have our toys :) Anyways I was thinking about saving up for a shotgun just for turkeys.. For example, one with like a 20/22 inch barrel, thumbhole grip or pistol grip, mossy oak camo, and a good scope... I have been looking at the Mossberg 535 turkey thug, also the Remington 870 mag, and the Stoeger P-350 oh and by the way Stoeger has a turkey gun out right now for those who hasn't seen it.. What do you boys recommend? I love the Stoeger for the price but I've always been a Remington fan, and then the 535 is a good gun also. Thanks!

P.S.. Hey Clark, don't worry, any gun I choose I promise to give it a thorough cleaning before shooting it! :D
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

icdedturkes

Re: Turkey gun

Postby icdedturkes » April 5th, 2012, 7:32 am

For a turkey specific gun I would highly recommend a tactical or pistol grip stock.. They take out a ton of recoil and are more comfortable while setting with your gun up..

Mossberg has really taken the lead in offering tricked out turkey guns.. The 535 is a solid gun but for optimum pattern performance I would prefer the overbored 835..

retranger

Postby retranger » April 5th, 2012, 7:58 am

I have the mossberg 935 turkey gun with the ported turkey choke, overbored and 22 inch barrel. I put the truglo turkey buster red dot on it. I shoot the 3 inch # 5's. Not much recoil. It has done a good job for me. Love it. :D
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WildTurkey101

Postby WildTurkey101 » April 8th, 2012, 4:36 pm

I just bought an 870 SPS this year before Season and love it. Indian Creek choke and Hevi-shot magnum blend are awesome :D

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 9th, 2012, 7:39 am

For me the gun I choose for turkey depends on the way I hunt. I like to slip through the woods AND I also hunt lots of hills far from the truck.

I like my T C Encore for it's compactness and carryability.

I also want a gun that I can shoot from both sides. I have killed a few birds off-handed.

I have heard of some guys having problems getting guns to patten well with guns with very short barrels. This is only a concern if you want a tight shooter. My gun has a 25 1/2 inch barrel with the extended choke but is still shorter than a 20 inch barreled pump or auto.

The single shot can be a disadvantage...or maybe an advantage. "Make it count son."...Or..."One time baby...one time." :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

grousec

Postby grousec » May 5th, 2012, 12:02 pm

I owned a 500 for awhile. Shot hard on both ends, very straight, but I discovered I hate shooting pumps. I traded and got a 935, best thing i ever done. I wouldn't trade it for any pump.. However if you are set on a pump I think I would go with the 835 (unless you just want a lighter gun). But light equals recoil..

retranger

Postby retranger » May 5th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Treerooster I like the tail fan!!! :D :D
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Shooting