Need to re-sight?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Big10Inch

Need to re-sight?

Postby Big10Inch » April 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I want to remove my the turkey barrel to clean it thoroughly. I have a red dot mounted on the receiver. My question:

Will I have to re-sight my shotgun once it is re-assembled?

Would it be necessary to re-sight if the scope were mounted on a cantilever?

WildTurkey101

Re: Need to re-sight?

Postby WildTurkey101 » April 8th, 2012, 4:19 pm

I'm no expert when it comes to shotgun scopes. Can't say that I've ever even shot a shotgun with a scope on it, but since it's mounted on the receiver I don't see why you should have to. I'd take a practice shot with it before I hunted again though just to make sure. JMO

retranger

Postby retranger » April 8th, 2012, 6:14 pm

You are not messing with the red dot but I think it's a good practice to fire a couple rounds before every season. Be terrible to have the big tom run away from the shot and you say ""I should have tried it before I came out"" :o :mrgreen:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 9th, 2012, 7:44 am

I do not personally own a pump or auto with a scope on it. But I have heard of guys having the POI move on them from how tight they screwed the barrel holding peice down. I guess it can torgue the barrel a bit.

Best to shoot the gun to confirm if its on. That just breeds confidence anyways.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

TWOWITHONE

Postby TWOWITHONE » April 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Wont hurt it but take a few shots before the season to make sure your poi is still there. Just a lil bump will screw your scope up dont want to wound a turkey.
09-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL FDNY

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 13th, 2012, 10:36 am

Big10Inch wrote:I want to remove my the turkey barrel to clean it thoroughly. I have a red dot mounted on the receiver. My question:

Will I have to re-sight my shotgun once it is re-assembled?

Would it be necessary to re-sight if the scope were mounted on a cantilever?

It can depend upon the brand and model of your gun but when you remove the barrel you may make a change in the relationship of the receiver to the barrel. If for example you have a Remington shotgun, 870, 11-87, etc. and you do not torque the magazine cap exactly the same, the POI can change pretty dramatically.

I recommend that once you have a gun with a receiver mounted sight sighted-in that you not remove the barrel. If you feel that you must clean it, I recommend cleaning from the muzzle end. You can clean any debris from the receiver and trigger group after the season.

If your sights are mounted on the barrel, removing it will not effect the POI.

Lastly, just the very act of cleaning the bore may effect your POI. Whenever you change anything, after your gun is sighted-in, it's always advisable to shoot it and make sure you're still "on".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting