What Shotshells with you use this Spring?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

What Shotshells with you use this Spring?

Postby allaboutshooting » January 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am

What brand of shotshells do you plan to use this Spring? Will you shoot lead or tungsten-based shot? What size shot will  you shoot?

Do you plan to shoot what's worked for you in the past or are you going to try something new?

Will you pattern your gun before the season? If so, how will you do that?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

greyghost

RE: What Shotshells with you use this Spring?

Postby greyghost » January 3rd, 2009, 8:22 am

I shoot my guns before spring and fall seasons just to get aquanted with the feel of them again. Normally 5 rounds out of each barrell for this I just use any cheap low brass load. I have 4 double guns for turkey. Then I shoot a turkey target with the vitals of the load I will be using for turkey and the load I use, 2 3/4" 4 shot nickel plated 1250 FPS Fiochi (sp) at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards.

I have been using this load for 2 years now. I think I tested about every load of fairley light loads over the years so far as to not beat up the old guns. They are all in great shape. Never really tried any hand loads though.

Earl

JPH

Postby JPH » January 3rd, 2009, 8:41 am

I will be sticking with my Federal, Mag Shok, 3", #5's with Flitecontrol wad.

This will be shot from my NEF, Pardner 12 ga., factory full choke.

I have found this combo to be an excellent choice for me. It is light and compact which favors mobility. It opens quickly which keeps me from missing at close range (at least most of the time). And it will make a gobbler head look like a wet sock full of broken glass at 35 yards.

I do not plan to pattern b/c nothing has changed and this little gun will rock you with that load.  

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am

If I don't go to nitros it will be. Fiocchi golden turkey 2 3/8 ounce of nickel plated 5's or 4's depending on what one I put in the gun.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 3rd, 2009, 11:44 am

for the past 3 years i've been using WIN. SUPREME XX magnum,,2 3/4 ''
1 5/8 oz. #6 . they perform mighty good from my fixed choke double.
JPH,,,i was really excited to try that FED. flite control wad load in 2 3/4 ''.
My gun , for reasons unknown , patterns TERRIBLY with it. standard full and modified ,,, hardly any difference in pattern and i was shooting 25 yards. i was sorely dissappointed as i think it is a good concept.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 3rd, 2009, 1:00 pm

I will be shooting Winchester Extremes No. 6 shot 3.5"-2oz. load.
Super X 2 with a 24" barrel and Banser ported .665 tube.
Probably won't shoot it before the season.

Turkeybuster

JPH

Postby JPH » January 3rd, 2009, 1:53 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay
JPH,,,i was really excited to try that FED. flite control wad load in 2 3/4 ''.
My gun , for reasons unknown , patterns TERRIBLY with it. standard full and modified ,,, hardly any difference in pattern and i was shooting 25 yards. i was sorely dissappointed as i think it is a good concept.

Really? I just stumbled onto them by accident (ran out of shells in mid-season and had to run out late at night) the next day I hammered the bird in my avatar so hard it hurt to look at it. Since then I have seen my range (which has always been conservative) increase dramatically. I still feel more comfortable inside of 20 yards, hence the factory full, but I have mistakenly killed birds cleanly at 40ish.

I guess there is no telling why a load will perform in one gun and not another. Good luck with what you are using.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 3rd, 2009, 2:14 pm

the shot pattern from that FED load looked more like cylinder bore pattern than full,,,yet the flite control wad went clean through the cardboard every shot,,,,,,,,at 25 yrds.

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » January 3rd, 2009, 2:22 pm

As for myself,I use winchester ex-range # 6 in my gun,but those 31/2 kicks like a Tenn. mule they are worth it.

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » January 3rd, 2009, 2:48 pm

I got some Kent 2 3/4 1 5/8 #6  for my stepsons Stoeger P-350. Talk about a nice pattern. I was very impressed. I did not try them out of the old Mossberg though.

Next

Return to Shooting