Conclusion: An Occurrence Somewhat Near Owl Creek Bridge

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 6th, 2012, 8:26 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Turkey hunters might not have much dignity, but I was determined to save the little bit I retained. No yard for me.

So I whiffed elsewhere that morning. Got thumped, actually. With my tail between my legs, I eased through Charlie’s front gate that afternoon, hoping just to play out the string and perhaps roost a bird.

I didn’t get very far before seeing the strutter. I’m not sure when he got there. I only knew that I hadn’t been waiting for him. Oh sure, I tried to slip around the timber and ambush him, but it didn’t work.

And I’ll confess this: The next morning — our last hunt — I was in Charlie’s front yard. I refused to sit on his porch, opting instead for a handy telephone pole. No turkeys appeared, but one gobbled in the distance as I headed for the airport. I hope he choked on an acorn.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Can't use a mouth call? Click here to find the answer!

Return to Decision Time